Ms3x flat shift

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ms3x flat shift

Post by swifty35 »

Question with the ms3x flat shift feature the flat shift hard limit rpm is the rpm it would drop to as the clutch is depressed and flat shift is activated? E.g engine hard limiter is 8200rpm and flat shift hard limiter is set to 6000 rpm as the clutch is depressed the rpm would quickly drop to 6000rpm or it slowly drops rpm until it reaches 6000rpm?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Ms3x flat shift

Post by jsmcortina »

It depends on the size of your flywheel.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

The heavier the flywheel the slower the rpm would drop your implying? Also what's the best way to set the flat shift hard limit do a log and see how low the rpm goes in between shifts to get your flat shift hard limit value?
acedeuce802
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by acedeuce802 »

If you assume that your car doesn't coast down during the short duration of a shift, you will be going the same speed throughout the shift. Therefore you need to figure out, based on your gear ratios, what rpm your engine will be at when you shift. This is the rpm you want to target. If you shift faster than the target rpm is met, then you'll just let the clutch out and that will bring the engine rpm down to the proper rpm. Really the target rpm is preventing the rpm from dropping lower than the ideal shift rpm if your engine speed drops faster than you can shift.
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I've been testing out the flat shift feature with a Buick 455 that has a steel flywheel. For testing I set the cut values down to like 3,000rpm so I can test shifting at around 4,500rpm in case it didn't work or the pedal sensor needed adjustment (it does) I wouldn't wing the engine into dangerous rpm territory.

What I found is it is hard to break the habit of lifting, lol. I swear in my mind I'm not lifting at all but the datalog doesn't lie. At these lower throttle levels, I'm getting around a 200-300 rpm flair when depressing the clutch, so it needs some adjustment. I have noticed it doesn't grind 4th gear like it liked doing when I previously tried "no-lift" shifting before turning on the flat shift.

As mentioned, shift time is relevant to approximate where the rpm will be to cut to, so I tallied it up as well. I shift like a long haul trucker, lol. Anyways, just some data to look at.

"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!