IGN and INJ Outputs

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

fj1289
Helpful MS/Extra'er

IGN and INJ Outputs

Post by fj1289 »

I am looking to upgrade an existing MS1 V3.0 to MS3 or MS3X. Application is 4 cylinder wasted spark, batch fire ignition.

Are there advantages or disadvantages of keeping ignition and injection outputs on the main board (V3.0) vice using the outputs on the MS3 Expansion board?

Thanks,
Chris
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: IGN and INJ Outputs

Post by jsmcortina »

You are only using two ignition outputs (via the LEDs.) That will work just the same with MS3 once you've configured the ignition outputs to use the LEDs.

The "LED spark" is incompatible with the knock-module upgrade, but otherwise it is fine.

Batch-fire injection on the mainboard works just the same MS1, MS2, MS3.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
fj1289
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fj1289 »

Thanks as always James! I'm assuming the knock-module you are referring to is the one specifically for MS3?

I'm wading through all the manuals and board mod descriptions - trying to figure out what I don't know I don't know yet...
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Correct, that would be the MS3 knock module.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
fj1289
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fj1289 »

Thanks Matt

Quick follow up question - if I brick this V3.0 board trying to de-mod it for my needs -- is it possible to buy just the V3.0 board (and the components for it)?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You don't have to remove very much. It is possible to order replacement parts, but you shouldn't need to desolder anything that is actually in the holes.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

You may find it is timely going MS3X and getting a new loom to run sequential injection and cops. That's if your dizzy supports it.
I don't know if there is anything else you are doing like boost control/extra sensors/etc, but the MS3X makes everything so much easier.
fj1289
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fj1289 »

Adding MS3X and running the minimum on the V3.0 board is my other option.

I want to try to run as much as I can with the MS3Base to help simplify the wiring coming out of the case. This is going on a motorcycle - packaging is a bit tight and the V3.0 board has already been modified with a more compact connector. Also - no cam sensor- and the simple batch fire wasted spark setup has been fine on both the street bike and this race bike. The MS3 Pro would be nice, but would consume the budget for upgrading the nitrous system too!

The three critical areas to improve based on the last race are sequential shifting - to include auto shift with by gear rpm selection (missed shifts eventually cost us the engine), keeping the nitrous and added fuel coordinated (mismatch between the microsquirt added fuel and nitrous ramp in the separate controller caused by the over rev on a missed shift made a BAD lean spike-- so want to ditch the nitrous controller and let megasquirt do both - assuming the fueling for the time based or VSS based progression gets sorted), and make datalogging reliable (auto logging to the SD card) - both Bluetooth and OTG cable have had issues syncing if we have to shut down and restart (like a track cleanup delay or keeping the air cooled engine from getting too hot before the run.

MS3 looks to be the answer - the VSS (enabling auto shift), on board datalogging, and progressive nitrous (with adjustable PWM frequency!) are tailor made for this application! I just have to make sure I implement it all correctly...
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

Sounds great and you're into it! Good luck.