Subaru With AVCS Advice Please...

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

uberzwerge
MS/Extra Newbie

Subaru With AVCS Advice Please...

Post by uberzwerge »

Hi, I am using MS3 pro (universal wire in) on a JDM EJ20Y (twin scroll turbo setup, 4 cam VVT)

I was wondering if I can use the MS3 PNP WRX base map (found on the diyautotune site) and then just switch to speed density (MAF delete) and then add in the AVCS settings. And obviously tweak some of the other settings as well. This engine runs 4 cam position sensors and 4 solenoids, so I would like to see how to wire in the cam sensors, and also which cam to use as the main reference.

Or if someone is running a subaru with AVCS and wouldn't mind sharing a base tune that would be greatly appreciated as well. (this would probably be the easiest)

I mostly just need to get it roughed in to move the car short distances and load it onto a trailer to take it to a tuner.

I haven't wired it up yet, but hope to soon!

Thanks

Rick
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Subaru With AVCS Advice Please...

Post by Matt Cramer »

The base map is speed density, so the main thing is going to be to change the spark mode to the VVT version and dial in the VVTs.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
uberzwerge
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by uberzwerge »

Thanks Matt.

I have 4 cam sensors, 2 are hall effect 3 wire (intake side) and 2 are vr 2 wire sensors (exhaust side)

On the subaru wiring it shows the vr sensor wires both going to the ecu. Do I just connect the sensor outputs to the spare 3 digital input wires (pins 17,21, and 28 on the grey connector) and then run the other wire to the shared sensor return?

Obviously the 3 wire one pin is powered, one is signal and one is sensor return to the ecu I'm assuming?

If each sensor needs 2 signal input wires into the ms3, then I don't have enough spare inputs correct?

And as for the vvt oil solenoids (2 wire) I'm assuming it powers the solenoid using pwm? Both subaru wires show that they go to the ecu, so how would I wire these? Obviously I need an output (high current? Or extra injector outputs? According to the t.s. drop downs ) and then ground the other? Or sensor return it?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That second VR cam sensor will need an external VR conditioner. The Hall effect sensors can go straight to the digital frequency inputs.

On the solenoids, connect one wire to switched 12 volts and the other end to a PWM output.
uberzwerge
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by uberzwerge »

Ok great! Thanks so much Matt!

Did I have the assumption of the 3rd wire on the hall sensor going to the shared sensor return correct?
And my IAC is a PWM, so I will only have 2 extra PWM outputs for 4 ACVS solenoids, but I can use any unused injector output as a PWM right?

Also, which VR conditioner would you recommend?

Thanks

Rick
Last edited by uberzwerge on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

JBPerf.com has a good VR conditioner module.

To use an injector or high current output for PWM, you'll need to add a 1N4001 diode across the solenoid, banded end to the 12 volt feed. This is built into the PWM outputs, but absent on the high current and injector outputs. The diode slows down the valve closing, letting you "park" the valve in the middle of its travel instead of snapping it rapidly open and closed.
uberzwerge
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by uberzwerge »

Sounds good.

Thanks for the help!
uberzwerge
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by uberzwerge »

Hey Matt,

Have 1 more question. For the vr conditioner, do I need the 12v or the 5v model?

Thanks