Flex Input on MSPro & Alternate Options for Gauge?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

shaodome
Master MS/Extra'er

Flex Input on MSPro & Alternate Options for Gauge?

Post by shaodome »

Hi,

So according to the docs on MS PRO, PIN 32 on the white connector is the input for the flex sensor. As I've never used that pin for any input on my build (no pin installed prior) this was the first time I connected something to that specific pin. No signal is being reported from that as an input.

I disabled flex fuel and tried to use digital switched in 1 as a VSS input, also zero. After verifying the sensor wiring (it's fine) and testing a 2nd brand new sensor (same result), I decided to bring the signal in on Digital Frequency In 2. Changed the VSS input and now I could see the signal from the ethanol content sensor, albeit as a speed configured by whatever was in the rest of the VSS settings.

So few questions:

1. Is the Pin 32 on the white connector the right one or is this a typo?

2. Is it possible to build a gauge using one of the frequency inputs to just display the ethanol content and not use the flex system to act on it?

3. If my Digital In 1 turns out to be a bad input (hardware failure) any hope for alternate input pins for flex fuel?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Flex Input on MSPro & Alternate Options for Gauge?

Post by Matt Cramer »

shaodome wrote:Hi,

So according to the docs on MS PRO, PIN 32 on the white connector is the input for the flex sensor. As I've never used that pin for any input on my build (no pin installed prior) this was the first time I connected something to that specific pin. No signal is being reported from that as an input.

I disabled flex fuel and tried to use digital switched in 1 as a VSS input, also zero. After verifying the sensor wiring (it's fine) and testing a 2nd brand new sensor (same result), I decided to bring the signal in on Digital Frequency In 2. Changed the VSS input and now I could see the signal from the ethanol content sensor, albeit as a speed configured by whatever was in the rest of the VSS settings.

So few questions:

1. Is the Pin 32 on the white connector the right one or is this a typo?
Yes, that's the right pin. Make sure it has 5 volts when nothing is plugged in.
2. Is it possible to build a gauge using one of the frequency inputs to just display the ethanol content and not use the flex system to act on it?
You would need to use the designer mode to scale it, but it's possible.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
dsibley
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dsibley »

I can't tell which model of MS the OP is referring to but I'm having a similar problem.

I just picked up the GM sensor (13577379) for my 2003 with the MS3P PNP. I can't figure out where to connect the signal wire to the ECU. The manual states that it should connect with "digital switched in 1 on the options connector" but when you look at the pin-out diagram for the options connector that input isn't there (see link). Thanks for your help!

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Which MSPNP model do you have?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X