MS3-Pro USB Connection Issues

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

OhNoItsGodzirra
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3-Pro USB Connection Issues

Post by OhNoItsGodzirra »

Hello MS3 Extra,

This is my first forum post here because up until this point, I've been able to (easily) find the answers to all of my questions. For that, I thank you.

I currently am working on getting my MS3-Pro hooked into my LS-swapped Mustang. I bought the AMPSEAL kit as I already had a GM harness that I wanted to modify. After much work, I was able to get everything hooked up and it came time for connecting to the MS3 for the first time. Here are the details:

- MS3 was powered on as evidenced by the primer pulse from the injector lines upon turning the key
- Laptop has TunerStudio and Mega Log Viewer installed with all drivers from USB which came with MS3
- MS3 has 4 pins wired for USB into the Gray connector. One or more of these connections could have been faulty it did not seem like it
- When plugging in the USB, the laptop showed no signs of any port having a new connection. No new connection sound, no searching for drivers, nothing

I have a few ideas that could've caused this:
- One of the pins has intermittent continuity issues
- The shielding from the USB cable needs hooked to the shielding ground on the White Connector

Can anyone confirm or deny the need for the shielding to be connected to the White Connector? Should I abandon the USB connection and move to a less-noisy RS232 connection.

Thanks in advance!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3-Pro USB Connection Issues

Post by Matt Cramer »

You don't need to ground the USB shield to the white connector.
Note that you can get the USB to show up on a laptop with ONLY the four USB pins connected. The MS3-Pro does not need to be switched on for the USB port to show up, although it will not communicate until the unit is powered on.

(Edited to add - you can sometimes get the USB input to show up on a regular MS3 when it is not powered, too.)
Last edited by Matt Cramer on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
OhNoItsGodzirra
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MS3-Pro USB Connection Issues

Post by OhNoItsGodzirra »

Thanks for the reply as always, Matt. I had previously tried chopping off the end of a USB and soldering the tiny fragile wires to other wires which could be terminated in the ampseal pins. Never again. I just ordered some solderable usb connectors which I'll use with 22 gauge GXL. Hope it works the second time around.

Thanks again!