Getting my Ford modular 4.6 Dohc to start

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

marts91k
MS/Extra Newbie

Getting my Ford modular 4.6 Dohc to start

Post by marts91k »

Hi guys,
Wired in the system and I've found conflicting posts on settings.
Engine is a stock Mark viii 4.6 Dohc. 24lb injectors.
Gm Ls1 coils, GM map sensor, Gm IAT sensor, stock Ford coolant temp sensor.
In Ignition Options, I'm setup up to run Full Sequential, so I'm using a Dual Wheel with missing tooth. Should this second "Trigger Active On" be Rising or Falling Edge?
Should my Ignition Input Capture be Falling Edge? I've seen conflicting posts on this motor.
Should Tooth #1 Angle (dg BTDC) be at 40 or 400?
Does the wide band input voltage need a calibration set? 0-5v = xxxx
There are two sets of resistors packaged whith the MS3 pro, 2 of the 10k to be installed parallel at the crank sensor and 2 of the 1k for the cam sensor. Cam anyone give me a clarification on which way they installed these sensors, if they used both/all of them at each location? I'm getting a RPM not synced error on the dash of tunerstudio, so I'm guessing this is the cause.
Attached is the set tune. Any tips anyone could pass along will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Getting my Ford modular 4.6 Dohc to start

Post by wes kiser »

Set wheel mode to "log crank and cam." Do not expect the engine to start this way.

Then take a "composite log" of a cranking attempt. Post this log here. Let it spin for a good 3-4 seconds.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
marts91k
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by marts91k »

Okay, here is the logged cam and crank. This log is also with the 10k resistor soldered across the crank sensor wires.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Wes was asking for a composite log from the Diagnostic menu, to examine the crank and cam signals. I'm afraid that is a regular data log.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
marts91k
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by marts91k »

I apologize, I'm still learning this software and its use. See attached (hopefully what was requested)
marts91k
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by marts91k »

Got it running tonight. Runs a little rough with back fires and a cam fault at times, attached is an msq and msl. Idle is high too, I believe I may have a bad PWM valve. Tips welcomed.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It's not losing sync, but the AFR readings are way lean, indicating either a misfire or the settings are very lean. I would use coil test mode to make sure the spark is firing in the proper order and you don't have any coils switched.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

according to the .csv attached you should be running rising edge on the ignition input. the way ford has their cam trigger setup is a few degrees after tdc around 20-30. ms expects it to be within 360* before tdc (also not during the missing tooth or tdc) so add 360* to tooth #1 angle of 40 for 400. your cam signal looks a bit dirty, i am not familiar with the input circuitry of the pro unit so you probably need to put a resistor across the sensor or inline.

in the meantime you can set "number of coils" to wasted cop and the cam sensor wont have any affect on ignition.
marts91k
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by marts91k »

So I made some major headway over the past week. The car now starts and runs. I have to run it in semi-sequential and wasted COP because I can't get it to recognize the camshaft. I even installed the 10K resister across it. It also backfires a bit from idle to any sort of acceleration. I was able to limit the pops by leaning out the AFR table. A few questions:
- Any way to get it to accept the cam sensor???
- Injector timing is at 360 across the board. Any idea if this motor should be ending squirt before this increment?
- Any tips on setting my Accel enrich, or my little back fire issue? Again, it will backfire once every minute or two at idle. And then right away under any acceleration, but once rpm is no longer rising it is smooth.
- Any tips for crank/start up settings?

I know I'm asking a lot, but just looking to pick the brains of the more experienced.
Thanks guys!
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

Have you made any changes to your MSQ? If so, can you upload a newer one?

According to the log, you're running extremely lean. It's idling in the 18's and sporadic under harder load (seems to like like 14's on average). I believe this was mentioned earlier.

As for injection timing, I personally like to set my tunes to end of injection. Below 1000rpm, I start around 380, increasing with RPM. I'll usually increase it by 20 for every 1000rpm, up to 5000rpm where I stop increasing it. You can also increase by load as well if you want.
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 37&t=64269
Email me directly at CRSTune@gmail.com

Personal Vehicle:
'92 Nissan 240sx, KA24DET, GT2860RS, MS3X, Coil-on-Plug
marts91k
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by marts91k »

My apologies, here is the msq associated with the log. CRStune, I leaned it out to prevent the constant backfiring. It backfires much more as it gets any richer and into the 14's.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

marts91k wrote:Does the wide band input voltage need a calibration set? 0-5v = xxxx
What wideband are you using? Did you set your wideband calibration? Tools > Calibrate AFR Table
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

At 18, that thing should be having a lean misfire. Either that or you have a few cylinders not firing. A wideband will only read air, not fuel so any dead cylinders will make your readings leaner than they appear.

I took a look at the basic calibration settings and noticed you're firing order is set as 1-4-2-7-6-5-3-8. 4.6 modulars use a 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order. The MS is only going to fire in order A, B, C... etc. so long as the outputs are wired correctly, it will run. I'd suggest you go back and make sure that all the ignition and injector outputs are wired correctly. What could be happening is that you have a few ignition outputs wired to the wrong cylinders and it's firing at the wrong time.
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.

Personal Vehicle:
marts91k
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by marts91k »

I'm using an innovative gauge type wide band with the 0-5v output wire directly into the ecu O2 input. I did not calibrate that in tunerstudio, i overlooked that. I'll check that first thing next time messing with the car.
A-H wiring for injectors and coil outputs are wired in sequence as 1-8. A=1, through H=8. My first mistake was the firing order as I just put in 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8. Because of the way it's wired I have to run it 1,4,2,7,6,5,3,8.
Any thoughts on my cam issue? Perhaps the resistors on the crank and cam?? These are VR sensors so just to clarify the resistors should be soldered across the pins??? Or in line with wiring on one side?
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

marts91k wrote:I'm using an innovative gauge type wide band with the 0-5v output wire directly into the ecu O2 input. I did not calibrate that in tunerstudio, i overlooked that. I'll check that first thing next time messing with the car.
A-H wiring for injectors and coil outputs are wired in sequence as 1-8. A=1, through H=8. My first mistake was the firing order as I just put in 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8. Because of the way it's wired I have to run it 1,4,2,7,6,5,3,8.
Any thoughts on my cam issue? Perhaps the resistors on the crank and cam?? These are VR sensors so just to clarify the resistors should be soldered across the pins??? Or in line with wiring on one side?
As I mentioned before, the injector and ignition outputs MUST be wired in firing order. The firing order within Tunerstudio only makes software related changes (cylinder trims for example). The ECU will always fire in alphabetical order. That means right now, only cylinders 1 and 8 are correct. 4 works on semi-sequential/waste spark. Everything else is firing at the wrong time. That explains why you're getting excessive backfire and why it didn't run at all with full sequential.

The provided resistors are meant to help alleviate potential noise issues in VR sensors. You may not have a cam issue at all. As Matt Cramer already said, you're not losing sync. You need to fix the firing order before you can say you have a cam sensor issue.

Personal Vehicle:
marts91k
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by marts91k »

Okay, I see. I was under the assumption that the entered firing order altered the actual firing order. I can see how that could cause a lot of my issues. I'll rearrange the wiring and post back. Thanks again!!!
marts91k
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by marts91k »

Alright, I switched the Inj. and Ign. outputs to their designated cylinders according to the 4.6 firing order and calibrated the afr table with the wideband. The engine runs flawless now. It revs quickly, very very crisp. Many thanks to everyone for their input. I still have some logging and tuning to do , but very satisfied!!!
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

Glad to hear it! Is it running fuel sequential now too?

Personal Vehicle:
marts91k
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by marts91k »

I haven't tried yet. Too excited with the way it was running mixed with the amount of time I had to play. I will explore with that next time. Really impressed though, with the functionality of the system and the support that comes with it. Thanks again for the help!!!