Table blending based on VVT cam angle?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

burdickjp
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Table blending based on VVT cam angle?

Post by burdickjp »

I'm looking into VVT tuning and am wanting to approach it as thus:
Command VVT full retard. Tune VE and ignition tables
Command VVT full advance. Tune second set of VE and ignition tables
Use cam position as the Y axis of the blend curve between the two tables

I see that cam position isn't one of the available options. Is there a way to drive a general purpose output to be read in as a general purpose input, or some other way of using VVT for this?
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Table blending based on VVT cam angle?

Post by Paul_VR6 »

That only can work if your full adv and retard are bookending the ve swings. Generally that is not the case across all rpms.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
burdickjp
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by burdickjp »

Paul_VR6 wrote:That only can work if your full adv and retard are bookending the ve swings. Generally that is not the case across all rpms.
I see your point. There's no easy way to square the circle of VVT tuning, is there?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Perhaps it could be done if the code used three tables - full advance, full retard, and optimum angle.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
burdickjp
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by burdickjp »

At that point it's becoming a 4D table: load, RPM, cam angle, and VE.
I've been trying to decide if a cam angle with respect to RPM blend curve would provide any flexibility. Probably not.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

"Optimum angle" changes a lot though depending on where on the table you are. Optimum for power and efficiency are far apart.

I have had the best luck doing ve and spark with a good guess at optimum vvt and then moving the cam angles around to do what I want then go back to fuel/timing.

Thats easier than k pro where there are a ton of individual tables to tune then you set the vvt where you want it.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!