JDM Subaru EJ207 VVT Implementation

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

subatoy71
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: JDM Subaru EJ207 VVT Implementation

Post by subatoy71 »

OK I've attached the smaller logs.

Let me know we need anything further accordingly
Injectedwf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Injectedwf »

I'm building a JDM EJ205 right now, I purchased a MS pro for it, and im getting down to the wiring. Please update this thread when you guys have more info, Ill be needing it soon!
subatoy71
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by subatoy71 »

Pretty much the same engine as the ej207 just lower compression, open deck block, milder cams and shim over bucket valvetrain. Except for the addition of the TGV intakes which IMHO u dont need, all wiring is the same.
Let me know how its going.
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

subatoy71 wrote:Pretty much the same engine as the ej207 just lower compression, open deck block, milder cams and shim over bucket valvetrain. Except for the addition of the TGV intakes which IMHO u dont need, all wiring is the same.
Let me know how its going.
what engine are you talking about, not the ej205 as the JDM STI EJ205 were solid buckets and good cams. the wrx is did have shim over buckets and were also ej205. Careful with subaru engine numbers they are VERY misleading.
subatoy71
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by subatoy71 »

All of the JDM EJ207s we get here are solid one piece bucket, semi closed deck 2.0 litre block. Some are one piece intake manifold, some are three piece manifold. ie Tumble Generator bodies that are blank with no throttles inside. These engines under JDM models are badged WRK STI.

The JDM EJ205s came in the plain JDM WRXs, Foresters, and others. Main thing compared it has the shim over valve buckets, milder cams, smallerturbo, lower compression ratio, open deck block,etc. They also came in AVCS and non-AVCS versions...more confusion. We havent even touched the variants of single vs dual AVCS in later years, top feed vs side feed injectors...even more confusion, the list goes on.

The point I wanted to bring across is from the perspective of installation and wiring which is what we are dealing with here, they are both using the same VR sensor setup, same trigger pattern for the same manufacture years.

Perhaps for users to easier determine their setup we can simply diffrentiate 36-2-2-2 US VVT and 36-2-2-2 JDM VVT. This would fix the phase differences in main cam trigger if i cant be addressed via Trigger Angle Offset. Main Triggers mostly are the same. The VVT feature existing would already cover both single and dual AVCS users. Non-AVCS users just simply leave the VVT feature off in their tune.

Regarding the tumble generator valves; I recommend that the tumble generator throttles be removed or delete bodies be installed. Most people dont care for them anyway and I personally dont feel much of a differerence, if any at all, without them. Maybe more aggressive timing compensates for lack of it. Anyway it translates to one less pair of target tables and PID controls to tune- Decomplication. More universal. Less hell for code writers too.

Just my opinion....
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

agree with most of what you have here.

to make it simpler. we need 3 trigger options.

Subaru 6/7
Subaru 36-2-2-2 USD
Subaru 36-2-2-2 JDM
subatoy71
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by subatoy71 »

Oh yes, we cant forget the older 6/7 trigger.
alpine227
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by alpine227 »

Good evening, I am building an 818 with JDM ej205 avcs and have been struggling to get cam sync without any luck nice to have some light shed on the issue. Has there been any movement for a new decoder to deal with the JDM cam sensors? I have a MS3X and two VR conditioner boards (one is for traction control the second is to condition the cam sensors) I have the engine in the chassis and running on the 36-2-2-2 trigger wasted spark cop and can help with testing or data logging it would help develop a solution.

Respectfully,

John
alpine227
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by alpine227 »

Was a solution ever determined, did anyone grind cam triggers to work or is a new decoder In The works? If not is there missing data to create it that I can help provide?
Injectedwf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Injectedwf »

I have both USDM STI single AVCS heads, and JDM single AVCS heads if anyone needs pictures of the cams/pickups, I also have a set of dual AVCS STI heads (usdm) if anyone needs/wants pics of the cams.
subatoy71
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by subatoy71 »

John did u try wasted COP batch fire injectors first?
Should at least get it started.
alpine227
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by alpine227 »

I have it running on coil on plug now, wasted spark worked fine on the crank. I had to put a 2.2k shunt resistor on the cam signal to get it to work right. Just not sure if I need to modify the cams to work with the current code or if there are plans to add decoder info for the JDM setup.

I can pull logs if that helps but it seems all the information is out there at this time just hoping it makes the next update.
respectfully,

John
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

Glad someone else out there has gotten this done. You should talk with James and find out what he wants in the high speed logs.
alpine227
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by alpine227 »

I messed around in test mode. Since I am using the 36-2-2-2 decoder I can't adjust frequency of the solenoid or # of teeth. I can get a jumpy signal from the cam angle sensors the sweet spot for my solenoids seems to be a duty cycle of 38 to hold it nuetral anything above that advances the cam and below retards it. Thinking about pulling the valve covers off and going to town on the cam teeth with a grinder to get a stabil cam signal.
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

any updates on this?
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

My new engine will be ready in 1 month, with STI8 2003 EDM headers (single AVCS), similar (identical) to JDM EJ207 headers.
I will post pictures of the cams teeth.
The previous engine had no-AVCS headers, it was running with a ms2. Now I will have to upgrade to ms3, as ms2 does not manage AVCS at all.
Question: will my new engine run correctly with the ms2 and electrically unconnected AVCS sensors and solenoids?
I think it's ok, but...
It will let me time to run adapt the ms3. I know it's more a subaru engine question than a MS question, but here some people well know the EJ engines! :)
Thanks,
Remy
subatoy71
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by subatoy71 »

Remy
Yes it will run. Your engine be a bit lazy on the low end but feel better as the revs go up. If the engine is turbocharged you will also lose some spool but peak power will be roughly the same.
If you are adventurous type and running stock cams, you can try setting your intake cams only advanced by a cam gear tooth. This will give your low end and midrange a nice bump but you will lose some top end power.
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

Thanks for your answer !
My new headers have BC stage 3 cams ;-)
remsperso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by remsperso »

Hi all,
Here are some pictures showing the teeth of the crank and camshaft pulleys, and the teeth on the camshaft used for the AVCS sensor.

Sti edm crank pulley:

Sti edm camshaft pulley:

BC racing camshaft for ej207 (4 teeth at 90°):

Will the 36-2-2-2 VVT decoder work with these elements?
If any, what are the differences with sti usdm?

Thanks,
Remy
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

nope, you have the EDM/JDM AVCS cams.

the trigger was coded for the USDM cams. which has 3 machined slots. I do not know if one can be cut off unfortunately.

I was hoping that the JDM cams would be added to a new decoder by now. i ether flash the stock ecu with carberry or use a different make ecu for this.