Dodge truck V10 support

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Dodge truck V10 support

Post by E4ODnut »

From searching this forum I understand that there has been some success in using MS3 to run the Dodge Viper V10 engine with waste spark and sequential injection. I would like to know if there has been any development for the truck engine.
I believe the the crank and cam signals are similar to the early versions of the Viper engine but it utilizes waste spark and semi sequential injection. The injectors are wired in pairs in the same order as the firing order.
James, if there hasn't been any development for this engine I have a project using one. I can provide any information you might need to help with it and would be able to do all the field testing.
Robert
'53 VW Beetle Street Baja dual port 1641 MSnS-Extra
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Dodge truck V10 support

Post by Matt Cramer »

Sequential vs semi sequential is just a matter of wiring and settings. The code will let you run the V10s either way, and if you want to change a truck engine over to full sequential operation, you can.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

What configuration of crank and cam trigger does the current firmware expect to see?
Robert
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

Matt,
I took some time to study the MS3X manuals. There is a lot of information in them, so I probably missed something, but I don't have the setup options clear in my mind yet.
I have what I believe is the latest version of Tuner Studio MS Pro, but when I load the MS3 example project I do not see either of the Viper ignition mode options and the basic settings section had a maximum of 8 cylinders for firing order.
Is there another project file available that I should load to become familiar with the settings?
Robert
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

What firmware is the example project on? The latest 1.4.1 will have the Viper settings there and a 10 cylinder option.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Download the latest MS3 firmware and try one of the tune files from there. Double click on it and let TunerStudio use a temporary project.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

OK. I got MS3-release-1.4.1 and tried default-1.4.1-ms3.msq. The Viper settings were there alright, but still only a choice for 8 cyl firing order. Then I tried the default-1.4.1-ms3pro.msq. The Viper settings were there and the firing order settings were as well.
Is this normal and does it mean that I will need MS3 Pro to run this engine?
Thanks.
Robert
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Check the project properties: http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... .4-35.html. You need to enable CYL_12_16_SUPPORT.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

Hi Jean,
When in my temporary project, I go to project properties, I just get the default setting of cyl 12_16_ Support disabled, and I do not see an option to enable it.
Robert
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You'll need to post a screen capture because that should be a pull down menu that allows you to toggle between deactivated (default) and activated.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

Jean,
I was about to ask you how to take a screen shot when I thought that perhaps is has something to do with my using a test project. I created a new project and loaded it with the example MS3 .msq. Everything now seems to appear as it should.
This is very encouraging!
So, at this point, it looks to me that to run this 1995 Dodge 8.0L V10 truck engine, using the factory configuration of waste spark and semi-sequential injection, I will require the Megasquirt-III with PCB V3.0 unassembled kit, plus the Megasquirt-III MS3X Expansion card.
I also noticed in the hardware manual that the factory Chrysler coil packs require either internal or external ignitors.
What are my choices for the ignitors?
Robert
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

I did some more reading of the manuals and at the DIY Autotune site.
It looks to me like I can get one BIP373 mod kit for the main board and the Quad Pak for the remainder of the 5 ignition drivers total I will need for waste spark.
Is this correct?
With the expansion card I shouldn't need anything else to run semi sequential injection.
Is this also correct?
Robert
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

Is anybody there?
Did I say something wrong?
Robert
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I guess it sounded like you had it figured out. Adding that lone spark driver will require some DIY as there isn't a ready way to connect the MS3X "Spark A" back inside the board again, possibly loop it in through the DB37.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

Thanks James. I'll think that over.
Robert
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

There is a new wrinkle, actually, several new wrinkles, all part of working with an orphan engine I suppose.

I've been doing a lot of research and it looks like all the truck engines use a crank trigger wheel that is part of the crankshaft and internal to the engine. It has 5 sets of two notches. I believe the early Vipers used the same set up, but the later ones may have a 60 - 2 internal wheel.
It looks like there were two different configurations for the camshaft trigger wheel. The early versions of the truck engine, 1994 and 1995 I believe, had 4 notches in the wheel. The later versions had a single big notch, basically a half moon. I couldn't find anything definite on which configuration the Viper engines used and if they changed as well.
I don't see anything in Tuner Studio to select which cam trigger wheel to use so I'm assuming that only one is supported.

Which one would that be?
Robert
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

Are you there James?
Robert
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

There are two Viper trigger wheel options. Pick the correct one.

James

E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

I see "Viper V10" and Viper "V10 Gen 1" but I don't know the details of either. My engine has the 4 notch cam wheel and the 10 notch crank wheel.

But, there is another wrinkle. Both the crank and cam sensors for this engine are no longer available. If one of mine fails, my only options are to either build one, or scrap them both and use an external 60 minus two trigger wheel, if the firmware will support that.
Robert
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

First gen is the multitooth cam wheel, second gen is the one tooth cam wheel.