MS3 on 3 cylinder Motorcycle

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

R3Hoon
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3 on 3 cylinder Motorcycle

Post by R3Hoon »

Hi all, been about 10 years since I've worked with megasquirt. I had one of the first MSnS Extras running a custom Turbo motor back in 2004, and, now I've reached a point in a project where a full standalone is called for again.

The vehicle in question is a 2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster. It has significant engine internal work done and the stock ECU is now the limiting factor, it only allows a peak RPM of 7000, I need to spin the motor to at least 8000 if not 9000 to make full use of the much larger cams.

From what I have seen its a 24-2 trigger wheel, no cam sensor, CDI system. I want sequential injection. The ignition setup uses 3 leads to coils which fire two plugs each simultaneously. There are 3 injectors wich are high resistance.

The IAT and coolant sensors I'll have to replace with GM versions, no big deal. The stock MAP sensor is 1 BAR, just fine, and uses a 0-5 volt linear output as far as I can tell. TPS is a 0-5v system using a linear sensor output.

Is there anything here that you guys can see which will cause any issues? As far as I can tell it should be a very straight forward conversion to MS3 from the stock ECU.

The only sticking point I see that might come up is the IACV. It uses a stepper motor to control idle and resist stalling.

Can MS3 provide sequential injection for a 3 cylinder as described and control the stepper motor natively or am I looking at custom circuitry like I had to do last time using MS?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 on 3 cylinder Motorcycle

Post by grom_e30 »

i believe for a 3 cylinder you will also need the cam sensor as well if the 24-2 is mounted on the crank.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
ChristianK
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ChristianK »

You didn't need a cam signal. It works fine with 6-zyl. wasted spark. ;-)
Golf MK1 Cabrio 1,8T MS2
412Hp at 20psi
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

ChristianK wrote:You didn't need a cam signal. It works fine with 6-zyl. wasted spark. ;-)
Yeah but you have to change the wiring to a different firing order. It won't fire in the ABC order but ACB since it's firing every 120 degrees instead of every 240 degrees.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

I want sequential injection
i assume you need the cam signal for sequential injection.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
motthomas
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by motthomas »

Why can't you use the stock IAT & CLT sensors? The service manual should provide you with a 3 point cal and they are likely to be a good bit tidier than the GM units which are very pretty bulky for a bike application.