vss reed switch

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Fringeless
MS/Extra Newbie

vss reed switch

Post by Fringeless »

I have a 92 Jeep Cherokee. The VSS is not a hall sensor. It is a reed switch that has two wires and one is grounded to the "sensor ground". It cycles 8 times per pinion rotation. I have my wheel size and final gear ratio set. I am at a loss at what pin I can use for this and what settings in TS to use. I am using MS3v3.0/Ms3x. Anyone?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: vss reed switch

Post by billr »

Use it just like a Hall, with the "signal" wire connected through a pull-up resistor to the 5V ref.
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

You can connect a wire from the reed switch directly to pin 11 (VSS) in the MS3X connector. Just make sure that the other wire from the switch is connected to ground so when the switch "makes", MS3X will see a ground. This is exactly how my setup is wired and it works fine. I also have 8 pulses per revolution. Just select the "VSS" input in TS and fill all the wheel/tire size, transmission gear ratio and rear axle ratio. The transmission/axle ratio data will let you know what gear you are in when doing datalogs or for a TS display.
Porsche 930 3.0 Slantnose
MS3/MS3X Sequential Injection & Spark, MS Knock, Dual plug, LS2 coils, Siemens 55 lb/hr HiZ injectors, ALM-ADV Wide Band,
Carrera Intake, Extrude honed, Ford 70mm Throttlebody, GTX3071R Turbo
Fringeless
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fringeless »

Thank you for your support. I must say that this Megasquirt build and install has been the most fun and rewarding modification that I have done to date. I have learned many things about engine controls that I did not know before. I have a new found understanding of the "ins-and outs" of my Jeep. Everything is coming full circle.