COP vs. COP wasted spart setting questions

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

COP vs. COP wasted spart setting questions

Post by nismoautoxr »

Here is the story. I got this 97 mazda miata that up untill now has been running well ...really well on a base MS3 with running wasted spark and batch injectors. I am about to switch the motor for a 03 model VVT engine so I bought an MS3X because I was just tired of reinventing the wheel for outputs and inputs . I wired spark ABCD by firing order as well as inj. ABCD also by firing order. ACDB was how I did it hopefully because lot of the writing was very hard to see on the harness that I bought . I bought a premade DIY autotune harness for the MS3X. When I finished the wiring I changed the tune accordingly to use the MS3X injector and spark outputs and selected COP and sequential injection and it acted as if it was running crosswired like the coils were firing at the wrong times . I can select COP wasted spark and it runs normally . What did I do wrong? Can you not run sequential on the 4G63 decoder ?
Ricky-
1995 Nissan 240sx, 403 LS strokerv8 N/A 6speed trans
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
42lb/hr Hi-Z inj.,230/232 @.050 on 114LSA cam
sequential fuel and sequential spark
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
.60 trim T4 Turbo at 15 PSI
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: COP vs. COP wasted spart setting questions

Post by CRSTune »

nismoautoxr wrote:Here is the story. I got this 97 mazda miata that up untill now has been running well ...really well on a base MS3 with running wasted spark and batch injectors. I am about to switch the motor for a 03 model VVT engine so I bought an MS3X because I was just tired of reinventing the wheel for outputs and inputs . I wired spark ABCD by firing order as well as inj. ABCD also by firing order. ACDB was how I did it hopefully because lot of the writing was very hard to see on the harness that I bought . I bought a premade DIY autotune harness for the MS3X. When I finished the wiring I changed the tune accordingly to use the MS3X injector and spark outputs and selected COP and sequential injection and it acted as if it was running crosswired like the coils were firing at the wrong times . I can select COP wasted spark and it runs normally . What did I do wrong? Can you not run sequential on the 4G63 decoder ?
The firing order is 1-3-4-2 (A-B-C-D). Your outputs should therefore be A-D-B-C (1-2-3-4) for cylinder order, not A-C-D-B like you have it.
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 37&t=64269
Email me directly at CRSTune@gmail.com

Personal Vehicle:
'92 Nissan 240sx, KA24DET, GT2860RS, MS3X, Coil-on-Plug
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Do you understand that the drivers always fire A-B-C-D? How are the coils wired?

A => cyl. 1
B => cyl. ?
C => cyl. ?
D => cyl. ?
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

My bad. I typed it out wrong. I did follow the 1342 order or at least I thought I did . I gotta go back and check the pinout with my dvom . Like I said. It was difficult to read the writing on the wires. I dont have a diagram telling what tracer colors are which on the diagram. It should be ACDB .
Ricky-
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

billr wrote:Do you understand that the drivers always fire A-B-C-D? How are the coils wired?

A => cyl. 1
B => cyl. ?
C => cyl. ?
D => cyl. ?
Yes
Ricky-
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

CRSTune wrote:
nismoautoxr wrote:Here is the story. I got this 97 mazda miata that up untill now has been running well ...really well on a base MS3 with running wasted spark and batch injectors. I am about to switch the motor for a 03 model VVT engine so I bought an MS3X because I was just tired of reinventing the wheel for outputs and inputs . I wired spark ABCD by firing order as well as inj. ABCD also by firing order. ACDB was how I did it hopefully because lot of the writing was very hard to see on the harness that I bought . I bought a premade DIY autotune harness for the MS3X. When I finished the wiring I changed the tune accordingly to use the MS3X injector and spark outputs and selected COP and sequential injection and it acted as if it was running crosswired like the coils were firing at the wrong times . I can select COP wasted spark and it runs normally . What did I do wrong? Can you not run sequential on the 4G63 decoder ?
The firing order is 1-3-4-2 (A-B-C-D). Your outputs should therefore be A-D-B-C (1-2-3-4) for cylinder order, not A-C-D-B like you have it.
You actually typed your order out wrong too lol but.it should be acdb which is how I think / meant to wire it. I gotta go back and double.check the pinout on the db37 because its a premade harness.
Ricky-
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

nismoautoxr wrote:
CRSTune wrote:
You actually typed your order out wrong too lol but.it should be acdb which is how I think / meant to wire it. I gotta go back and double.check the pinout on the db37 because its a premade harness.
No, his order is correct. You need to have output A go to cylinder 1,output B -> cyl 3, output C-> cyl 4 and output D -> cyl 2.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

nismoautoxr wrote:
CRSTune wrote:
I typed it exactly as I meant to type it.

MS always fires in alphabetical order. Output A is always the first to fire, output B is always the second to fire and etc. Knowing that, if you want cylinder 3 to fire second, you have to wire it to output B. The way you have it wired, you're still wired in actual cylinder order. You need to wire as below:

A => Cyl. 1
B => Cyl. 3
C => Cyl. 4
D => Cyl. 2

or to put it another way:

Cyl. 1 => A
Cyl. 2 => D
Cyl. 3 => B
Cyl. 4 => C
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.

Personal Vehicle:
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

I knew that and still did it wrong dammit. What a bonehead move. That also means I screwed up the injector wiring as well . Back to the drawing board. :roll: Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure that will fix it .
Ricky-
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

turns out I didn't mess up as bad as I thought. I only mixed up spark B and D with each other. I wired the injectors correctly :yeah!: . Next time Ill check with an ohm meter. I guess I just thought the b was a d and vice versa lol. Thanks for the help. Sometimes its the obvious stuff that stumps me :roll:
Ricky-
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB
LS3/LSA card MAF sensor
97 Mazda MX5
MS3 2002 vvt motor
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

nismoautoxr wrote:turns out I didn't mess up as bad as I thought. I only mixed up spark B and D with each other. I wired the injectors correctly :yeah!: . Next time Ill check with an ohm meter. I guess I just thought the b was a d and vice versa lol. Thanks for the help. Sometimes its the obvious stuff that stumps me :roll:
Also explains why it ran in waste spark since B and D are 2 and 3.

Personal Vehicle:
nismoautoxr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nismoautoxr »

yup. Thanks again.
Ricky-
MS3&MS3X v.3.0 PCB