MS3 Pro and can egt question

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

no bottle
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3 Pro and can egt question

Post by no bottle »

So my question for you guys is I have a can-egt box with 8 egts hooked up currently. My question is can I run two widebands through the can egt to save myself two analog inputs on the ms3 pro for other analog datalogging inputs. Ive read the can-egt manual and it talks about how you can do up to 8 widebands with it. I hope it makes sense what I am asking. And if I can run my widebands through my can-egt box can someone explain how to do it, because it seems confusing to me. The only thing I understand is that can box has 8 0-5v outputs and I keep reading about doing a innovate log chain, but I dont fully understand how to make that work with the megasquirt and what a innovate log chain is. Im looking to do 2 lc-2 widebands on a turbo methanol ls. Any help or guidance is appreciated!!
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 Pro and can egt question

Post by Marek »

The innovate chain is just that. Serial inputs and outputs are daisy chained together with a plug at one end and a connection to the can-egt box at the other end. Instead of considering single analogue inputs like "normal EGO", the whole chain is simply called "CAN EGO" and the start of the chain is defined.

The can-egt box has two serial ports so it can itself be part of a chain - one communicates with the MS3 box and the other communicates with whatever is on the innovate chain. The firmware in the can-egt box reads what is on the innovate chain and translates it into data that can be sent to the MS3 box.

To make it work, connect up the an innovate input to another innovate unit output to make a single chain of up to eight innovate units. Attach an innvote terminator plug to the input at one end and plug the remaining output into the can-egt box.

Use TS to tell the can-egt box serial settings that the innovate chain baud rate is 19200 and that serial port passthrough is disabled. This will let the firmware in the can-egt box read whatever data is put out by the innovate units on the innovate chain and then on-send it to the MS3.

Use TS to tell the MS3 unit under the CAN menu that it is to fetch EGO data via can in the innovate format, quoting the can-egt's Remote ID (you already know this from project properties since your egts are already set up), the table and offset. The table and offset are two numbers you can get from looking elsewhere on this site (typically 7 and 153 respectively unless you have a tinyIOX)

Use TS to set your EGO ports to however many innovate units are on the chain all to "CAN EGO" every time and then use the AFR/EGO mapping to set which of EGO1,2,etc is mapped to which injector. "CAN EGO" means the chain - however many units are on the chain as opposed to a specific name for a specific analogue port.

Elsewhere on this forum you will find examples of the software settings that MS and the can-egt boxes need to talk to each other. The right settings will also already have be posted by Jean Belanger for his products on his own website.

kind regards
Marek
no bottle
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by no bottle »

Ok thanks for the explanation, it finally is kinda all clicking on how this whole system works. I have one more dumb question, I was originally planning on doing two innovate lc2s for just logging to the ms3 but now Im thinking it would be nice to have a gauge in the car also so I can glance at it while making a pull if needed. Does anyone know if this http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/supp ... Manual.pdf dual wideband system would work ok through the can egt serial system? I would think the whole system would work being it still is innovate serial ins and outs. The dual wideband system would work nicely in my car since its only one gauge but I could monitor two o2s. any thoughts?
MS2tester
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MS2tester »

don,t know if you are set on a 52mm gauge?
otherwise i would look at installing a rasberry 3 with either the 3,2 inch screen or the 7 inch screen
that way you have the freedom to display anything you want!
that would also open up the possibility to add a usb gps and import it in tunerstudio on the rasberry
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 22&t=64163
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MnYwrMKx08