MS3Pro - AEMNet Wideband CANBUS Support

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

xgrapher
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3Pro - AEMNet Wideband CANBUS Support

Post by xgrapher »

I've bought the new AEM 30-0300 X-Series Wideband that outputs CANBUS (AEMNet). How can I read this?

On another note, I want to read Fuel Pressure, Fuel Temp, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp. But looks like MS3Pro has only 3 analog inputs. Is there a way around this without having to buy the expansion module?
xgrapher
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3Pro - AEMNet Wideband CANBUS Support

Post by xgrapher »

Anybody home?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Current firmware does not support AEMNet; this is in development for the 1.5 code. Using this code requires turning off the MS-CAN. The 1.5 firmware will also allow using the MS3-Pro's O2 input as a spare analog input if you are using the CAN data for O2.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
xgrapher
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by xgrapher »

Perfect!

MS is the best

Any tentative dates for the release of the new firmware?
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I'd be interested in aem canbus as well. I want to fuel per cylinder and want to run two of the preturbo pressure sensitive boxes. One this year for bank to bank then another next year

But we have to turn off ms can? I'd like to still keep the egt box and I/o box functions as well
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

xgrapher wrote:Any tentative dates for the release of the new firmware?
Please see: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=125

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

While on the subject - the 30-0300 outputs whether the data is valid and/or if the sensor is faulty.

Can we please take this information into consideration and deactivate the EGO correction and the AFR safety system if the data is not valid and/or if the sensor is faulty. The applies for the Innovate EGO (which I have already asked for in another thread).
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
chips60bug
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by chips60bug »

nathaninwa wrote:I'd be interested in aem canbus as well. I want to fuel per cylinder and want to run two of the preturbo pressure sensitive boxes. One this year for bank to bank then another next year

But we have to turn off ms can? I'd like to still keep the egt box and I/o box functions as well
Have you looked into the 14point7.com Megaspartan? Current code doesn't allow for back pressure comp, but it is coming very soon. Lots cheaper than the AEM box, and it speaks the right language.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I had problems with two Spartans reading almost 2 afr rich, read that as they showed 13.0 but motor was found to be running 15.0's. So I'm gunshy about the 14point7 canbus stuff. And pricing both systems, with my nhra discount at summit, comparatively to run 8 widebands, the cost is the same, with only the pressure sensor making the aem setup more. Everything else I own has aem widebands, I'm very happy with the setups

I'll be running an I/o box this year on my race car, so I've decided to use two of the inputs available in Pro for this year and work on getting the aem stuff working over canbus
chips60bug
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by chips60bug »

I've had pretty good luck with the Spartan 2s in the Megaspartan so far. I've had a 5th sensor(LC2) post turbo to use as a control, and other than when things are under pressure the average of the 4 reads very close to my 5th. I don't have the pressure comp hooked up yet, as the code is still in development.

It is a pretty big investment on a gamble though. If the AEM stuff iso proven, it's not a bad idea to use that instead.
I do like that the Megaspartan uses current MS CAN protocols, allowing my IOX to work nicely along side it.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I hear you the canbus front. At first I'll just be doing bank to bank fueling pre turbo for a little better resolutions in the system. I do have egt's per cylinder so I can still monitor. Plus, doing all 8 will require me pulling the turbo kit and headers, so just two for this year with my current wideband as a standalone post setup My car is making a tremendous amount of power so I'm wanting fueling to be as accurate as possible
dr.mike
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dr.mike »

Hi all.

Is there any interest in a modified AEM X-Series UEGO that speaks the MS-CAN protocol ? I originally did the mods to make them speak OBDII for HPTuners and EFILive, et al.
I looked over the MS CAN protocol. And, it looks like it should not be a huge undertaking.

Or, is the new FW going to make that unnecessary ?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The new firmware is out and the MS3 can now receive CAN data from AEM widebands. The drawback is that AEM uses a different data rate and this does lock out some other CAN functions, so there is room for improvement if you can get the AEM wideband to transmit at 500k instead of 250k.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

The 30-0300 is definitely a 500Kbps device. The 30-2340 is also at 500Kbps, however there are 1Mbps variants (30-2340N).
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

So it's maybe possible that it can work?
dr.mike
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dr.mike »

So it's maybe possible that it can work?
Yeah, it oughta work. It should be less work than the whole OBDII ECU simulation mode used for HPTuners, etc.

But, is there enough demand for it to justify the effort, given the new FW can read the native AEMNet ?
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

It can read it natively, but only the aem box, nothing else can be on the canbus line. I've got 3 other devises and would like to add this aem, actually two of them next year
dr.mike
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dr.mike »

There doesn't seem to be a lot of demand, though.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

nathaninwa wrote:It can read it natively, but only the aem box, nothing else can be on the canbus line. I've got 3 other devises and would like to add this aem, actually two of them next year
I have a supplemental product in mind that should help with this.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

I have a TinyIOx on the way and have read a little about CAN in other subjects.
Is the AEMnet CAN non-standard? Or is every manufacturer different? I'm not looking to use AEM any time soon.