Unstable Crank signal 60-2, OEM loom with shielding

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

B1ack_Mi16
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Unstable Crank signal 60-2, OEM loom with shielding

Post by B1ack_Mi16 »

So. After I got the CAM signal to behave, it seem that the engine will misfire and throw Sync Errors when I rev it to approx 2500-3000rpm.
It looses out on the crank signal.

What can it be, I tried to change the sensor itself just to make sure that wouldn't be the problem, but to no change.
This is a view of the logging, as can be seen to the very right, there is an extra large gap compared to the other gaps in the 60-2 signal, probably more like 3 missing teeth instead of 2. Please ignore that the CAM signal is not perfect on this one, was testing some other filtering settings just on the CAM signal on this occation.

Adding a composite logfile here, sadly had to .zip it as it was too large for the forum uncompressed (~3mb).
2016-12-22_21.27.33.zip
Are there any tweaks that can be done in the software? I tried to enable the simple filtering algorithm with not too large usec values on the curve defined, but it seemed to do the signal more unstable.

Is it possible to add some resistors somewhere in the system as I did on the CAM sensor to make the signal stable?

I didn't think it should be necessary though as the complete loom from plug to Bosch ECU plug is factory install and MS3 Pro module is just added inside the ECU box.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Unstable Crank signal 60-2, OEM loom with shielding

Post by Paul_VR6 »

60-2 usually needs a 10k across vr+/- be it in the ecu or loom on micro and pro.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
B1ack_Mi16
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by B1ack_Mi16 »

Ah, thanks, I've been fiddling with the noise filters etc. but no success.

Just now I took the bother to read the manual which also states this about the 10k resistor if it gets unstable at higher revs, which is exactly my problem.

I'll give it a try and see what happens. Hopefully success... will report back when I've tried it.

Btw. How is it possible to plot the raw VR signal before processing?
I couldn't find it in the log file.
B1ack_Mi16
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by B1ack_Mi16 »

Soldered in a 9.6kOhm resistor and problem totally gone, no need for any filtering in the software :)
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Good to hear!
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!