WRX Idle Oscillation + More

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

planet
MS/Extra Newbie

WRX Idle Oscillation + More

Post by planet »

Hello everyone

I know this has been covered before but i just cant seem to fix this issue. See attached log and tune.

So we finally managed to get my car started but after doing so i stumble onto another problem (woohoo!), Idle oscillation!
Im running wasted COP with semi sequential fuel to negate the cam sensors for now.
I have no sync loss what so ever. Ive tried reducing the timing, increasing fuel, enabling/disabling Idle VE and Idle Advance.
The only thing that has stopped it so far is increasing the Injector dead time which makes it run super rich and when i try offset it with VE it just brings back the oscillation.
Changing the Idle control settings seem to have minimal effect.

Other issues im having include the fuel pump priming but then not running once the car is started causing me to have to run it constantly as soon as ignition is on. Also i have connected my radiator fans for fan control but they seem to run constantly with out any real control.

Any help would be much appreciated, im very excited to have this bad boy working!

cheers
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: WRX Idle Oscillation + More

Post by CRSTune »

Your cranking RPM threshold is 1000rpm. Every time the RPM drops below that number, if falls back to the cranking tables. So, your idle PW is jumping back and forth. It's also likely what's causing your AFR to oscillate as well (goes lean when it falls back to the cranking fuel settings). Set the threshold to a more reasonable number like 300-400rpm and go from there.
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 37&t=64269
Email me directly at CRSTune@gmail.com

Personal Vehicle:
'92 Nissan 240sx, KA24DET, GT2860RS, MS3X, Coil-on-Plug
planet
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by planet »

For some reason i though that was general idle speed :|
I set it to 400 and it does the same thing but just about stalls, falls back on the cranking rpm and kicks in again. I increased the dead times again to stop it from stalling.
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

Increase the warmup idle duty and take a new log if you don't mind.
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.

Personal Vehicle:
planet
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by planet »

i gave that a go, the only way i can keep it from stalling now is to hold a bit of throttle on. Also coolant temps are past WUE.
I can try a log with a bit of throttle on if you like? Although then its not really considered idling, but in saying that it still oscillates with about 8%TPS
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

Sure, use the throttle. A relatively stable reading will make it easier to look at. With your last log, it's hard to tell with the engine switching between cranking and running constantly.

As for warm up, I'm not concerned with the coolant temperature. Open loop idle calls it warmup idle but it's just the command idle duty table.

Personal Vehicle:
planet
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by planet »

Managed to get a quick log before it stalled.

thanks!
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

It looks like you need to increase fuel as MAP increases. You also need to increase fuel with greater RPM. The MAP reading is rather unstable, though it's hard to say if it's because of the fluctuating idle. Try working on your VE table in the idle region.

You also have a relatively high MAP smoothing factor (35). Try something in the 50-70 range. The goal is to get it as close to 100 as possible while also getting rid of noise. You don't want to smooth over a good MAP signal.

Your ignition table has an odd dip in 4 cells in the idle region. I use the ignition table to help stabilize idle sometimes but that dip is rather abrupt, not smooth.

Personal Vehicle:
planet
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by planet »

Ok that seemed to steady it up a bit. I pretty much increased the VE everywhere(for now) and changed the MAP smoothing to 60.
Still likes to stall but, almost like the FP just cuts out but if you give it some throttle it stays on.

This might sounds silly, but how do you adjust the idle speed?
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

Increase the duty cycle in the warm up idle table for the corresponding temperature. The highest temperature duty will be referenced when your engine gets hotter.

Once you get everything sorted out (stable AFR, idle, timing, etc), you can switch to closed loop idle control which will allow you to target specific idle speeds.

Personal Vehicle:
planet
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by planet »

Ok not a problem!
I might grab the proper dead times for my injectors, i think its messing up my VE.

Thanks for your help mate.
jacky4566
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacky4566 »

Stop messing with Injector dead time. It's not something you should need to change after its set.

The best way would be to measure your injectors on the car. There are a few easy methods you can google.

Also the WRX uses a MAF/MAP combo no? OR did you remove it?
planet
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by planet »

I have the latencies from the old ecu, are they not ok to use?

Yep using just MAP now with a GM IAT just before the manifold.