At my wits end... ANY IDEAS? LS3 with 24X trigger.

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: At my wits end... ANY IDEAS? LS3 with 24X trigger.

Post by DLRacing »

nathaninwa wrote:Pull pan and tig weld wheel?
That's a thought, but to pull the pan I'd have to drop the front suspension and subframe, and reset the alignment afterward.
That's almost as much work as it is to pull the engine and transmission. :(

If I'm going to go that far, I'd sooner go ahead and rebuild the motor at the same time.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

With all you have been through, I would be very tempted to fit an external 36-1 or 60-2 wheel and VR sensor; even if just for temporary. A bit of cost, but really not all that hard to do.
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

billr wrote:With all you have been through, I would be very tempted to fit an external 36-1 or 60-2 wheel and VR sensor; even if just for temporary. A bit of cost, but really not all that hard to do.
Thanks, BillR, that's certainly something to think about. :idea:

If I use a 60-2 wheel, I could probably even get the correct LS3 sensor and just fab a bracket to mount it off the timing cover or pan.
I could also make an extension harness, so when I do rebuild and install the internal reluctor, my existing harness would be unaltered.

Does anyone know of a source for a 60-2 reluctor that could mount to the front pulley on an LS motor?
Also, can the MS3Pro handle using the 60-2 crank wheel combined with the 1X cam gear?

Thanks again.

David
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

60-2 with a 1 tooth cam is just the regular missing tooth configuration. Nothing special to it.
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 37&t=64269
Email me directly at CRSTune@gmail.com

Personal Vehicle:
'92 Nissan 240sx, KA24DET, GT2860RS, MS3X, Coil-on-Plug
gjestico
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gjestico »

What front accessory drive do you have ? F body, Corvette or truck ? That will affect how much room you have for the wheel behind the balancer.
I was thinking of doing something similar, Its fairly easy to CAD up any size wheel you can imagine and get it water jet cut from plate for surprisingly cheap.
67 Chevelle, LSX V8 engine, EFI., cuppa 80's TPI projects....I like wires.
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

gjestico wrote:What front accessory drive do you have ? F body, Corvette or truck ? That will affect how much room you have for the wheel behind the balancer.
I was thinking of doing something similar, Its fairly easy to CAD up any size wheel you can imagine and get it water jet cut from plate for surprisingly cheap.
I have the F-body setup.
I was thinking of mounting the wheel to the front of the pulley, so I don't have to move my accessories forward to maintain belt alignment.
I also want to do this fairly inexpensively, as it's only a temporary setup to run this summer.

I guess I'm not really tied to 60-2 either, as it would be simple to change that config in SW later.
I see DIY Autotune has some generic 36-1 wheels available pretty cheap.
It should only require a spacer and a longer damper bolt to make something like that work.

Thanks guys, this is putting me in a much better mood. :yeah!:
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

Electromotive has a few universal 60-2 wheels as well as ones for a few versions of the SBC.
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 37&t=64269
Email me directly at CRSTune@gmail.com

Personal Vehicle:
'92 Nissan 240sx, KA24DET, GT2860RS, MS3X, Coil-on-Plug
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Holley (Jegs, Summit, etc) and Electromotive have the 60-2 for about $60. With the right sensor, the wheel only has to be about 1/8" thick. That can fit fairly well between the dampener and belt pulley, if they are separate pieces. Yeah, belt alignment will be off a bit, but all the pulleys aren't in perfect alignment anyway.
gjestico
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gjestico »

There is enough room behind the f body balancer to mount it just behind the AC pulley part. You can machine a pilot on the blancer hub and press a wheel on. Wont move any belts out. You could use the stock $20 58x wheel but you would probably have to make an adapter hub for it, And balance it (the stock LS wheels are intentionally unbalanced)
67 Chevelle, LSX V8 engine, EFI., cuppa 80's TPI projects....I like wires.
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

billr wrote:Holley (Jegs, Summit, etc) and Electromotive have the 60-2 for about $60. With the right sensor, the wheel only has to be about 1/8" thick. That can fit fairly well between the dampener and belt pulley, if they are separate pieces. Yeah, belt alignment will be off a bit, but all the pulleys aren't in perfect alignment anyway.
This has an aftermarket SFI rated damper that has the main pulley built in, and the A/C pulley behind it.
I'm not sure of the brand, but it looks to be good quality, and is marked with the SFI rating.
I'll have to take a closer look at it tomorrow to see what mounting options I have.

Thanks again,
David
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

It has a PowerBond p/n PBU1480SS10 10% underdrive damper.
There is a 6-bolt pattern on the hub, but it's recessed and I can't get to it to measure accurately.
If anyone knows this bolt circle, please let me know, so I can make a spacer and drill a trigger wheel to mount there.

Thanks,
David
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I can let you know. I made a puller
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Pattern is 3.25x6 bolts. 3/8-24 thread
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

nathaninwa wrote:Pattern is 3.25x6 bolts. 3/8-24 thread
Thanks Nathan:

You guys are awesome! :yeah!:
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

The bolt holes are actually 10mm-1.25, and rough measuring the circle looks like around 82mm, which is 3.228".

I think I'm going to make a template ring from posterboard to measure the bolt circle before I start making hard parts.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I wonder if production changed? I had to buy 3/8-24 bolts for mine and my deep vener calipers measure just under 3.250, like 3.248. Powerbond, 10% from Texas speed about 3 years ago

Come to think of it, last summer my brother ordered one from Texas speed, and they were on back order for 8 weeks which turned into almost 9 before he got it
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

nathaninwa wrote:I wonder if production changed? I had to buy 3/8-24 bolts for mine and my deep vener calipers measure just under 3.250, like 3.248. Powerbond, 10% from Texas speed about 3 years ago

Come to think of it, last summer my brother ordered one from Texas speed, and they were on back order for 8 weeks which turned into almost 9 before he got it
Could be. I think this motor was built in 2011 or 2012, so unless the damper was changed later, it's a bit earlier than yours.
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

I got the trigger wheel and the new 58x sensor.
I made an accurate measurement of the bolt circle, and left the wheel with the machine shop at work to have a delrin spacer made, and to have the center of the wheel bored to the same ID as the spacer.

This will allow me to use the spacer as a guide to drill the wheel after I get the sensor bracket fabbed and mounted, so I can position tooth # 1 at 40 deg BTDC as recommended in the manual.

Probably won't get to work on it again until next weekend. Too many projects. :?
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Cool, thanks for the update and do keep us posted. Also maybe some pics of the new trigger wheel setup too
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

Will do.