Goldbox water meth injection

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

RICE ETR
MS/Extra Newbie

Goldbox water meth injection

Post by RICE ETR »

Hello all,
I've done some light searching but haven't found a definitive answer.
I purchased a PNP Goldbox 24x Ls1 from EFI Source. I am learning my way around tuning this car using Tunerstudio, so far, so good and I absolutely love this system.
My question is once I make my turbo setup, can I control the injection pump via PWM using a spare output (assuming inj since I only have 8 injectors now).
I know this won't be the best option as the spray won't be linear and I won't have full pressure at low injector DC, but still think this will be better than having the injection come in all at once and I want MS3 to control everything if possible.
So I would use a 12v ingnition source to + side of pump, negative side of pump would go to Goldbox...then set to "FAST" in Tunerstudio.
I am a tuning newb so please be gentle.
Thanks for any help.
Jarrod
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Goldbox water meth injection

Post by LSXCutty »

It will have to be done thru a solid state relay.
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

RICE ETR
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RICE ETR »

Excellent, thank you for the link as you answered my next question before I could ask it.

Another option I was contemplating, would be a 2 stage injection...using one of the nitrous outputs and a water/meth solenoid most commonly used to stop siphoning. So I would run the pump directly to a small nozzle and turn the pump on 100% at low boost/rpm, then just before peak TQ enable the solenoid which is plumbed to another nozzle.
I would think this would be a crude but potentially more reliable "progressive" injection system.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for the response.

-Jarrod
RICE ETR
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RICE ETR »

Sorry to bring this back up but I am finally getting around to actually doing this.

I can find chinese SSR's, but unsure of how reliable they are.... aka Mager MGR-1 DD220D40, that another member linked me to. Anyone have any longevity experience with these?

If I wanted to get a "good" one, would this work? I don't need 40A but figured if the switching speed isn't any different, it should be more robust.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cry ... fRNCHfU%3d

Thanks for the continued help.

-Jarrod
RICE ETR
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RICE ETR »

Back up from the dead.

My car has been apart for awhile for upgrades however I did want to post that the SSR Meth injection works great, so thanks for all the help.
In my idle time, I have come across some posts that say I should have a flyback diode on the pump as well as a 1K ohm resistor across the control side of the SSR (Haltech schematic).
Is anyone else running PWM via a SSR and using the diode & resistor? I was going to put a 50V/10A Diode right at the pump (neg to positive) but I am unsure how many watts I need for the resistor. Is 1/2 W enough or do I really need to size P=IV + safety factor?

Thanks for any input,

-Jarrod