Yamaha YXZ 1000cc setup, RUNNING SUCCESS

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Yamaha YXZ 1000cc setup, RUNNING SUCCESS

Post by nathaninwa »

I've been tasked to help a friend install an MS3 on his Yamaha side by side. I have not seen this in person yet, but it's a 3 cylinder engine with coil on plug setup and as far as I can tell it's only running a 24-2 crank trigger, with no cam sensor

Just looking over TS stuff I get conflicts

Is there a way to run wasted spark and wasted fuel with 3 cylinders?

Or can I use the map based signal and run sequential, but it's a boosted setup so would there be a problem with sync under boost?

If we need to, I'm sure I could add a cam sensor on the valve cover and of something onto the gear itself, just seeing if this can be done without modding the engine

Thanks

After posting this, it made me think about the crank itself, maybe it's times as such that only number 1 is up when the 2 missing teeth come by
Last edited by nathaninwa on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Yamaha YXZ 1000cc setup

Post by LAV1000 »

I am running a 3 cill (120 crank) semi sequential and wasted spark.
Its a MS2 setup, so it shouldn't be problem on ms3
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Thanks for posting. After I thought more about crankshaft position compared to the trigger wheel, it will be possible to run wasted spark. I just wanted to run this in my head to make sure it would all work together before diving in
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You can't run an engine with an odd number of cylinders (3, 5, ...) without a cam trigger.

The only way to do this without a cam trigger is to cheat and configure the settings as a 6-cylinder (or 10, or ...) but then you have to change how you connect the coils and the injectors because the firing order will be screwed. So please, if you claim that this can be done and that's what you're doing also explain all the details. I've already done that multiple times in the past and I'm getting tired of it.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Won't it run wasted spark and wasted fuel with a 24-2 wheel? The pistons are 120* apart. I just didn't think about piston location before I posted
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:You can't run an engine with an odd number of cylinders (3, 5, ...) without a cam trigger.

The only way to do this without a cam trigger is to cheat and configure the settings as a 6-cylinder (or 10, or ...) but then you have to change how you connect the coils and the injectors because the firing order will be screwed. So please, if you claim that this can be done and that's what you're doing also explain all the details. I've already done that multiple times in the past and I'm getting tired of it.

Jean
Sorry, didn't want to upset you.
Check out my msq
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

LAV1000 wrote:
racingmini_mtl wrote:You can't run an engine with an odd number of cylinders (3, 5, ...) without a cam trigger.

Jean
Sorry, didn't want to upset you.
Check out my msq
Well apparently it does work with the older version of the MS2/Extra code you're using but it doesn't with the latest one and it doesn't with MS3. With those you need to cheat.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Semi success with this project. After some trials getting the offset angle figured out and the firing order correct, we have timing spot on and it running! :yeah!: Since this is a 3 cylinder, I used spark and injector ABC and set it as wasted park and semi sequential using 6 cylinders. We're messing around with some sensors now but should be out tuning this a little later on today

From what the owner of the side by side says, this might be the first megasquirted Yamaha setup. There are lots of piggy back controllers and only one other company using a big named Ecu to control everything I guess like the dash and tranny stuff. We left the stock Ecu in to handle dash canbus and tranny stuff, we just piggybacked off the crank and tps signals
Vector973
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Yamaha YXZ 1000cc setup, RUNNING SUCCESS

Post by Vector973 »

I'm microsquirting a yamaha vector triple thats supercharged and I'd like to pick your brain if your willing. Let me know how I can contact you. Thank you in advance
Streettuner
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Yamaha YXZ 1000cc setup, RUNNING SUCCESS

Post by Streettuner »

Is there anyway I can purchase a copy of your map so I have some where to start I am looking at doing the same swap. I had one question what is the max boost you are running what can the ecu actually go up to?