(UPDATED)Does MS3Pro Support J32a IGN?12x crk, twin Cam sens

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

KW78
Helpful MS/Extra'er

(UPDATED)Does MS3Pro Support J32a IGN?12x crk, twin Cam sens

Post by KW78 »

Hi,

I have inherited a project of a kit car with a J32a2 honda motor and have gone with a MS3Pro ECM install. I would like to run sequential FI and true COP, and be able to tune individual cylinders. I think this is important because the header situation is going to be seperate bank exhaust sidepipes.

I am building a wiring harness, and looking thru the TunerStudio settings. I don't see support of this ignition system.

Factory, This has a 12 tooth crank trigger and a twin cam sensor setup creating 3 unique combinations of signals.

Does MS3pro support this? I have not seen anything that addresses this, including the Honda Acura J series settings, which indicate a 24-2 plus 1 cam sensor.

Thoughts?

Also, since this is my first honda based install, are the honda cam/crank sensors (2 wire) a magnetic VR sensor?

Thanks in advance.

Kyle
Sector Purple Racing
Last edited by KW78 on Wed May 17, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Does MS3Pro Support J32a IGN? 12x crk, twin Cam sens

Post by Matt Cramer »

What is the tooth pattern on each of the two cam sensors?

Also, does this engine use iVTEC or other continuously variable valve timing?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
KW78
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by KW78 »

WP_20170111_14_03_35_Pro.JPG
Here is a pic of the cam sensor arrangement.

I am inclined to mill off all but 1 bump and do a conventional 12 tooth wheel + 1 blip cam signal, and then use only 1 sensor.

Also these sensor have a magnet in them as a 2 wire, what is the best way to setup that sensor in the config for the MS3p? That makes it a hall switch, not a VR doesn't it?

Thanks,
Kyle
Last edited by KW78 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KW78
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by KW78 »

Sorry, don't know how to post picture resized from my phone.

Also, this is Vtec, not continuously variable cams.

Thanks,
Kyle
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

In that case, you can simply use the Honda / Acura (V6) mode and only need one cam sensor. No need to modify your trigger setup - you've got native support for it in the box.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
KW78
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by KW78 »

Thanks!

I will report back when done wiring harness and we get sync.

Kyle
KW78
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by KW78 »

Matt Cramer wrote:In that case, you can simply use the Honda / Acura (V6) mode and only need one cam sensor. No need to modify your trigger setup - you've got native support for it in the box.

I thought I would update this thread a little as I see more J32A swaps happen.

To answer a few questions I posed earlier - This motor does appear to use VR sensors.

Also, the native support of the HONDA/ACCURA setting DOES NOT WORK ON THIS MOTOR, as I expected. That setting is for a J32A application with 24 teeth and "a" (1) cam sensor. This application has 12 teeth, 2 cam sensors, and cam sensor triggers for 4 of the 6 cylinders. From my looking around the web, it appears that Honda/Accura setting is only going to work on the motors that cam from a manual transmission application, and the donor motors we have were from an automatic - whose info correlates to the 12+2 arrangement.

With the Honda/Accura setting picked, there never is any sync regardless of which cam sensor I pick.

With the ignition setting set to toothed wheel, CMP, Dual wheel, 12 teeth, tooth #1 angle = 94, main wheel speed = crank, second trigger active on falling edge and every rotation of CAM --- the car cranks, gets sync, and has rock solid RPM.

Also the car will start with some coaxing, but backfires, hits a compression stroke event (like mega high timing) sometimes, and long crank times. Found that I just need to crank stop crank stop and then it will fire. I BELIEVE THIS IS DUE TO RANDOM SYNC ON ONE OF THE CAM TRIPS (there are 4 to choose from).

I presume once a cam signal is latched on to, it ignores all other cam trips until it sees 12 crank teeth go by. Can anyone confirm that??

I think my next step is make the cam only have 1 trip (I will mill nubs off 3 of the spokes) and re-evaluate.

NEW PROBLEM:

I set the timing of #1 using the fixed timing advance and altering the "Tooth #1 angle" value (NOTE there are no movable components on the motor), then return to using the table, and I find that the advance value is only moving about half of the value between the fixed value and the table value - IE syncing fixed value at 10, if table calls for 20, then real timing is 15. I verified same behavior if I altered the "Timing for Fixed Advance" value. After setting at 10, if I enter 0 in the field, real timing is 5, or if I enter 20, real timing is 15.

I don't understand why this is happening, other than maybe multiple cam trips is confusing (and therefor not ignored), but that doesn't add up completely without anyother symptoms.

Once started, the motor runs great.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Kyle
SPR
KW78
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by KW78 »

KW78 wrote:
NEW PROBLEM:

I set the timing of #1 using the fixed timing advance and altering the "Tooth #1 angle" value (NOTE there are no movable components on the motor), then return to using the table, and I find that the advance value is only moving about half of the value between the fixed value and the table value - IE syncing fixed value at 10, if table calls for 20, then real timing is 15. I verified same behavior if I altered the "Timing for Fixed Advance" value. After setting at 10, if I enter 0 in the field, real timing is 5, or if I enter 20, real timing is 15.

I don't understand why this is happening, other than maybe multiple cam trips is confusing (and therefor not ignored), but that doesn't add up completely without anyother symptoms.

Once started, the motor runs great.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Kyle
SPR

DOH!! :oops: :oops:

This was a timing light problem!! I am so used to being set up for wasted spark timing checks, I didn't even think of that on my timing light.

"....nevermind"

Once that was out of the equation, timing changes worked degree measured for degree change called for...

Kyle