3UZ dual inlet VVT

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Skuzzle
MS/Extra Newbie

3UZ dual inlet VVT

Post by Skuzzle »

Hi guys,
So I've got an MS3X here. Almost completed wiring it in and am now curious to the best way to go about getting both inlet cams vvt to work correctly. I've wired VVT before on many things with ms3x, but never had to cams to control.
So tuner studio has the option there for a second cam which is nice, but need to figure out the way to do this.

The engine has a crank sensor, cam sensor and then 2 vvti sensors.
I was originally assuming to use the crank and cam to get rpm info, but now looking at maybe 2 more vr circuits to gain cam angle data and another vvt output for the second bank.
I will have to assume through logic that just driving both solenoids from 1 output and only monitoring 1 camshaft would be a bad idea, as they are oil pressure fed it is unlikely they will both see the exact same angle this way.

If anybody has done anything similar please let me know the attack plan.

Many thanks
A slightly stuck Nick @ skuzzle motorsport.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 3UZ dual inlet VVT

Post by Matt Cramer »

You will just use the VVT cam sensors and not the non-VVT cam sensor.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jacky4566
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: 3UZ dual inlet VVT

Post by jacky4566 »

Matt has it.

Use the 2JZ VVTI mode with the crank trigger and the 2 vvti cam sensors.

If you think about it, the vvti will never be more than 40 degrees off which is still plenty to determine the phase of the camshaft.

You can ignore the cam sensor on the cam cog. It seems odd to me why they even put it on there. OEM redundancy i suppose?