DIY External BIP373 module?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Mr.20
MS/Extra Newbie

DIY External BIP373 module?

Post by Mr.20 »

Hey guys. My first post here.

After years of wanting a megasquirt I finally bought one. I got the assembled MS3X for my BMW E30 325i. The ultimate plan is to go turbocharged sequential fuel and spark. But for now, just baby steps first - tuning the stock car to get a feel of what I'm doing before I blow stuff up.

Anyway, my problem is I neveer realized that the the assembled MS3X does not come with the Igniter (BIP373) built in. The car is single coil and distributor, so basically I cannot do any sparking right now.

Because I have the MS3X already with the eight ingition outputs, I am thinking might as well put them to use and buy six of BIP373 kits, put in an external housing and use six spark outputs of the MS3X, then get six COP coils. I know it's just like the quadspark product.. but it's cheaper and I don't have to spend $160... so anyone tried this before? will it work? and what setting should I use "going high" or "going low"?

Thanks
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: DIY External BIP373 module?

Post by grom_e30 »

you could run the ls style coils directly off the ms3x outputs thats what im running, any other logic level coils will work as well. you can run the bips in an external case if you want and trigger those off the ms3x outputs. either way you will prob be using going high
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

The MS3 V3 PCB does have a place for a single BIP if you decided to start off like that.

I'd do a costing on building 6 BIPs in a case etc against buying 6 active coils which MS3X can drive directly.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93supercoupe »

run LS coils. Make a simple bracket for the valve cover and run the coils on top.

Then you could use the distributor as a means of running a cam sensor and doing full sequential
BootlegTuned