Newb - MS3 w/2-speed fan and A/C input?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Newb - MS3 w/2-speed fan and A/C input?

Post by goodysgotacuda »

Hello,

I am playing within TunerStudio as I am wiring my car to ensure I am wiring what I can do with the ECU properly.

What I Want: 2-speed fan operation
  • If Coolant Temp >200* turn on low speed fan.
  • If Coolant Temp is >210* OR the A/C is on, turn on the high speed fan
Can I do this? If so, how?!

I believe I can do the following but am not sure how to get there completely.

High Speed Fan: Black Plug Pin 33 to control the High-speed fan relay via this configuration:

A/C Input: I believe the "Nitrous In" [Gray Plug, Pin 10] pin can handle a +12v signal, correct? If so, I would like it to reference my A/C Compressor power as an input. To me this setting shows that Nitrous 1 is my "A/C Input" but it will not actually do anything with it in this screen, only the Fan control is looking at that input.

Low Speed Fan: Using Nitrous 1 output, Pin #10. To me this should be "On" >=200°, "Off" <200°F or >210°. Will this work?

1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - 5.7L Hemi w/T56 Magnum

MS3 Gold Box, TunerStudio MS/MegaLogViewerHD user
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Newb - MS3 w/2-speed fan and A/C input?

Post by ashford »

it depends on the fan and how it is wired.

there is anoter way to do it as well but i will need to dig into the ini to figure it out again
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

I had a similar question when I installed a 2 speed fan but got around the issue another way. I tried a number of fan/shroud options to see what worked best in stop/start traffic and highway speed, both with and without the a/c on. In the end I have a shroud that covers 75% of the radiator core and I have small rubber flaps installed to ensure there's no air restriction at speed.

Firstly, I don't know how hot the outside ambient air gets where you are but my fan on low speed will bring the temps down even when the ambient outside air reaches 40degC (105degF) whilst sitting in traffic. I've never had a situation where the water temps have kept rising above my set point, but then again I don't have a 5.7l Hemi. If your temps keep rising with the fan on low, perhaps have it go straight to high to save the headache and gauge watching.

With the a/c, at highway speeds, you don't need a fan, so the fan is only really needed in slow, stop/start traffic, and the a/c's high pressure switch can be used to turn the fan on when needed. The MS3 can still run the a/c idle up, compressor, etc, but wire in a relay to get the fans operating when needed. Have a look at the Vintage Air web site for a good wiring diagram.
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by goodysgotacuda »

1uzfevolvo wrote:I had a similar question when I installed a 2 speed fan but got around the issue another way. I tried a number of fan/shroud options to see what worked best in stop/start traffic and highway speed, both with and without the a/c on. In the end I have a shroud that covers 75% of the radiator core and I have small rubber flaps installed to ensure there's no air restriction at speed.

Firstly, I don't know how hot the outside ambient air gets where you are but my fan on low speed will bring the temps down even when the ambient outside air reaches 40degC (105degF) whilst sitting in traffic. I've never had a situation where the water temps have kept rising above my set point, but then again I don't have a 5.7l Hemi. If your temps keep rising with the fan on low, perhaps have it go straight to high to save the headache and gauge watching.

With the a/c, at highway speeds, you don't need a fan, so the fan is only really needed in slow, stop/start traffic, and the a/c's high pressure switch can be used to turn the fan on when needed. The MS3 can still run the a/c idle up, compressor, etc, but wire in a relay to get the fans operating when needed. Have a look at the Vintage Air web site for a good wiring diagram.
Thanks for the input. We get plenty hot here [Texas] and I want to ensure the ability to switch is there and to have the coldest A/C I can get while at low speed. I'll be using the Vintage Air ECU to handle the input to the MS3 to run the fan. [car has Vintage Air]
1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - 5.7L Hemi w/T56 Magnum

MS3 Gold Box, TunerStudio MS/MegaLogViewerHD user