MS3 1.5 Source Code

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MS3 1.5 Source Code

Post by Speedy_G »

Hello,

when will the source code for 1.5 firmware be released?
Release firmware is out for some time.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: MS3 1.5 Source Code

Post by muythaibxr »

Basically when we get to it.

What do you need it for?
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

I want to understand the DBW Idle Control function. I've asked some questions about this half year ago in the corrosponding beta release thread, but didnt get answers to it.
And the DBW function in general, in order to make some changes (Maybe blipper function, which is clutchless downshift on bikes, where the throttle get a little blip when you got force on your shift sensor, and some additional conditions are met) When i understand the additional throttle for idle, maybe i can somehow misuse it for the blipper function, which also adds some throttle to the actual pedal position.

And i always make changes to the firmware, that the traction control parameters (spark retard, spark cut, fuel_add and so on) will be transmitted to the datalog. So that i'm able to tune/understand the TC function.
This is missing in all firmwares so far, but i already started a thread about this long time ago, with no feedback.
But i also would like to have features of the 1.5 firmware like DBW, more loops and so on.
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

sooo why is it taking so long? :?
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

come on, you're killing the spirit of megasquirt.
deezums
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by deezums »

Too embarrassed to release the mess that is the source code. Hidden behind the bullshit excuse of "why do you need it?" Maybe I need it because I want to change it to suit my needs, or I just want to see what the hell it's actually doing?

At least at this point this is what I assume it is. Been 3+ years. At this point it's safe to assume it'll never be shared.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

deezums wrote:Too embarrassed to release the mess that is the source code. Hidden behind the bullshit excuse of "why do you need it?" Maybe I need it because I want to change it to suit my needs, or I just want to see what the hell it's actually doing?

At least at this point this is what I assume it is. Been 3+ years. At this point it's safe to assume it'll never be shared.
Just love posts like this.... Dude has made a whooping 32 posts and thinks he automatically has the right to see someone's copyrighted property. People Megasquirt code is NOT open source. The developers CHOOSE to let us have access to it, typically after it stops being current. 1.5.x is current code. I'm sure that when 1.6 comes out we will probably get a look at 1.5 source. As to when that will be who knows. Firmware development has indeed slowed down some. But I have an idea, go ask AEM or Motec or Haltec for their firmware source code and see where that gets you :lol:
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
deezums
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by deezums »

I'm sorry, you seem to think post count means anything in this context? I thought owning MS3 hardware was enough to see the code, silly me.

Having also used a series 2 in the past, I probably wouldn't need access to the source to figure out what it's actually doing. With megasquirt the complete and total lack of documentation for most obscure features all you're left with is crawling through the INI to try and make sense of it. Try asking for help here, the people who could answer won't. Wonder why the post count is so low here. Can't even keep old logs, tunes and pictures from posts around, makes this place mostly useless for a reference for pretty much everything. Can't even keep a website with documentation up without it being hacked every other day...

Or, actually having the source might help.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

deezums wrote:Can't even keep a website with documentation up without it being hacked every other day...
I call BS.
When has the documentation website ever been hacked?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

deezums wrote:... Can't even keep a website with documentation up without it being hacked every other day...
I don't know which website you're looking at but that's not the msextra documentation website.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
deezums
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by deezums »

The tunerstudio site was hacked what seems like every other day, which I assumed had the info for decoding the INI I needed but doesn't. In the end I have to sort through a bunch of other people's work to decode one. Even still, how are you having a website redirect hacked these days? Is it possibly because you haven't updated it since 2014?

I guess get fucked if you want to try and do something outside the box. Thanks guys, much appreciated.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Even though TunerStudio is pretty much mandatory for using an MS3, this is an EFI Analytics product and they are independent and not under control of the MegaSquirt developers. So your complaint about their website is misdirected.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
deezums
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by deezums »

Ok, fair enough. Something mandatory to run megasquirt runs an outdated website and has poor documentation and might not actually be there when you need it.

Page 166 of MS3 1.5.x setup manual...

"There are a number of calculations to arrive at this point, the casual reader can skip these. For the full gory details, see the source code. As the processor uses integer maths, many values are scaled *10, *100 etc to preserve precision."

I wonder if you can understand how frustrating seeing something like that is. Sure, I can figure it out but why should I need to? If you aren't going to release the code, could you please post the relevant info?

All I wanted to do this time was set up a transfer curve and run speed density and then backfigure a MAF pulsewidth, just to see how close I can get it to SD pulsewidth. And I'm left guessing, just putting in random values to back figure something that should be stupid simple.

Earlier it was using the shaft speed sensors. Still no idea how those work over canbus. Again, if you aren't posting the code to how it works could you at least update the documentation?