MS3X with KnocksenseMS

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

shwagondawheels
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3X with KnocksenseMS

Post by shwagondawheels »

Sorry it's been a long time since I've posted anything on here.

I'm looking to purchase a MS3X/V3.57 ECU and I would like to use it with my KnocksenseMS module with it that I am currently am using as a standalone knock indication light along with my factory management system. For anyone that is not familiar with the KnocksenseMS here is a link http://www.viatrack.ca/

Here is a link to the installation documents for use with the MS1 or 2 V3.0 boards http://www.viatrack.ca/KnockMS/KnockMS.PDF

What I am trying to figure out is if there is way I can use this system to the MS3 daughter board without the use of the internal knock module https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms3 ... odule-kit/ being the KnocksenseMS is its own knock module or will I just wire it to the main board as stated below?

I'm guessing from what I've read in the MS3X/V3.57 manual I would just do the same thing as the KnocksenseMS instructions suggest on the V3.0 main board and run the logic signal for timing retard wire from the KnocksenseMS module to JS4 or JS5 on the V3.57 board.

Thanks for the help guys!!!
MS3pro EVO running my 1996 KO3s Turbo 2.0 ABA VW GTI
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3X with KnocksenseMS

Post by vw_chuck »

If you aren't looking for knock in a window from TDC to a few degrees after you have an engine noise monitor not a detonation monitor.
shwagondawheels
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by shwagondawheels »

Never thought about it like that. Very good point to help understand how a knock system should work.
MS3pro EVO running my 1996 KO3s Turbo 2.0 ABA VW GTI
Donn29
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Donn29 »

Did you ever get yours working with the MS3X 3.57? Trying to figure out if I can connect PT4 or another input to the Tim pin on the KnocksenseMS without any extra circuits.
1986 Toyota Celica Supra 7M-GTE 3.0L I6
MS3X 3.57 FW1.5.0
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

vw_chuck wrote:If you aren't looking for knock in a window from TDC to a few degrees after you have an engine noise monitor not a detonation monitor.

And even if you are only looking in that window, aggressive suspensions, hard durometer power train mounts, and other performance upgrades tend to mask actual knock.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!