New User lost

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Svendsensteel
MS/Extra Newbie

New User lost

Post by Svendsensteel »

Bought a plug and play system from MS builder(didn't know anything about MS),ripped all computers out of my sons car, installed system could never get car running right but got it running. After hrs and hrs of troubleshooting and getting a pretty clear understand of a MS2 3.57 and how to do basic setup on AFI tuner. Then they asked me to send harness and ecu back to look at it and never gave it back. Now I was stuck in a tough spot so I reached out to DIY and bought a MS3 Pro with harness with phone support. I wired car according to manual and here I sit, what is my next step, who do I call. I do have some understanding on the system now but sure could use a little help.
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New User lost

Post by Raymond_B »

Have you looked at the manuals in the link at the top of the page? There's great getting started info. You've also given no details on your vehicle, so there's really not much else that can be provided. It's not like there's an 800 number you call and someone will tell you step by step what to do.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Once it's wired, the next step is to check the sensors and make sure you've got good readings. If so, then use output test mode to make sure you have all fuel injectors and spark outputs working.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Svendsensteel
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Svendsensteel »

Well, called EFI Analytics first thing this morning Brian answered on first ring. He help me tremendously, my tune from MS2 that I loaded was not compatible with MS3. Now I was able to start testing today which went well with spark and fuel and fuel pump I just don't have any reading from my hall effect sensor which I'm tracing wires and trying to see whats going on. Thanks for feedback so far, I'm sure this is just the beginning of my journey but I got to say this whole squirt thing is pretty cool.
Svendsensteel
MS/Extra Newbie

New User still lost

Post by Svendsensteel »

Well I'm down to no signal / no rpm / no tooth logger. I bought MS3 pro with harness so its is easy to check on my end. Hall effect(purchased at DIY)has voltage (not in harness) and yellow wire only in the shielded wire for CMP. I checked Hall effect with the test they give you in setup and its working, I rang all wires that I did, checked to make sure no type of grounding with signal wire even went and wired in a VR sensor and nothing. Every thing else is working Spark, injectors, TPS, ect
Svendsensteel
MS/Extra Newbie

Down to One yellow wire

Post by Svendsensteel »

I am down to no RPM, everything else seems to be working. I just came in this morning an trimmed every wire on the MS3 Pro harness that I wasn't using (in case one was touching another or grounding from the factory pre strip. om them. I tested My hall effect sensor its fine, I just spun the toothed wheel hooked up to MS3 with a volt meter on it and it goes from 0 to 8.6 volts, when i spin it should it without it hooked to yellow wire it goes from 0 to 11.5 volts. The yellow wire from MS3 has 2 volts on it when not hooked up to MS3 and I checked red wire for fun and it has 2.2 volts. Anything jump out to be wrong here I feel I'm one answer away from a long awaited startup
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Are the plugs giving spark wile cranking? Post a composite log wile cranking and a normal log wile cranking along with the MSQ.

Also give a brief description of what you see in the distributor.

Andy
Svendsensteel
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Svendsensteel »

No spark or injectors, but have spark and injectors in test mode. Got 24 toothed wheel 3.5 mm spaced 4.2 mm deep with DIY tabbed Hall effect sensor (which says need 3mm all around Min.) with 12 volt switched supply, sensor ground (which seems to be ground anyway) just read more into DIY MS3 pro manual page 60 says can use digital frequency in 2 for hall effect as alternative signal in, that didn't work. I can see voltage rising and falling NP. Got wiring the right way (basically its just the CMP + in the shielded wire used and +/ - to send signal to CPU) where its going from there to be adjusted i dont know (maybe in EFI software on setup) I know in the MS2 there were conditioners that you could adjust but this one is sopposed to be pre set
Svendsensteel
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Svendsensteel »

Sorry composite log on tooth logger is blank
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The resolution on this one turned out to be a bit of confusion over naming. Even though the wheel was turning at cam speed, as the only trigger, it needs to be wired to CKP.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Svendsensteel
MS/Extra Newbie

New User lost

Post by Svendsensteel »

I took Matt from DIY about 15 seconds to solve my issue. He had me use CKP wires instead of CMP wires and changed it in MS3 through EFI tuner
Thank You Matt
Svendsensteel
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Svendsensteel »

Well we made it a 24-2 wheel which solved all my spark issues thanks to Matt DIY but now as soon as it starts it drops the EFI on computer so there is no way to tune anything. It never during and still drops computer while key is on or cranking but as soon as it is running all bets off. I tried jumping MS3 direct (in case of key problems), using RS232 port, different cords.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

How is the computer powered? Just from laptop battery or other?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Svendsensteel
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Svendsensteel »

Its a regular desktop computer with 110 power. The computer stays on just loses MS3 connection now about 10 revolutions into start cranking
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Weird things can happen between a pc's supply/ground and the MS supply/ground. Have you tried with the minimum rs232 connections of only pins 2,3 & 5 (rx,tx & gnd)?
What are you going to do when you want to tune and datalog? You can't drag that PC around with you so you will need to get usb/serial or straight usb coms working soon anyway.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Svendsensteel
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Svendsensteel »

Thank all, I hooked to my laptop and we're good didn't like PC I guess. Another 15 second repair from Phil @ DIY. Today I'm on to fuel charts lets see where that brings us, Hopefully close to out of the woods