No sync cranking. Chrysler 3.2

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dhb
MS/Extra Newbie

No sync cranking. Chrysler 3.2

Post by dhb »

I am a new user and trying to get my new project running. Ms3pro on 3.2 Chrysler. I have gone through the setup and tps, map, temps, coils, injectors, and IAC are working in test modes. The trouble is I'm getting intermittent sync. I am not sure that I am doing the log cam and crank correctly. I am however able to get clean noise free signals when monitoring with my lab scope. I have set up to use jeep 2002 trigger and currently have the hall sensors powered with 12v and pull up resistors from 5v. I have run every combination of 12 and 5 v with the same results. Thank you for any assistance.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No sync cranking. Chrysler 3.2

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm seeing a good cam signal, but no crank signal. The crank isn't a VR sensor by any chance, is it? Exactly what did this engine come out of?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
dhb
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dhb »

I can monitor the cam and crank with a lab scope and they both look good. The engine is out of a 1999 intrepid and it has the factory hall sensors. Chrysler powers them with 8v (although they spec 5-8 volts) and they supply a 5 volt reference from the pcm which the the sensor switches to ground for the digital signal.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

What board are you using?
dhb
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dhb »

MS3pro
mustangjp
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mustangjp »

I see you have the spark mode set to "log crank & cam". A bit out of my knowledge area, but it may be the issue.
MS2 on Ford 351C, custom internal crank trigger, FAST EZ-EFI TBI, LS truck coils in wasted spark
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Please check to make sure you haven't accidentally grounded CKP-.
dhb
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dhb »

I double checked and I had cut the ckp- off very short and it was making contact with the shielding material. After that I was able to get a sync while cranking. Thanks so much Matt!! I ran a log and the cam and crank look similar to my scope readings now. I switched back from "log cam crank" to "jeep 2002" to get it to sync. I am still not getting a coil pulse while cranking. I double checked operation by actuating coils in test mode and they work but not while cranking. I feels like I must have a setting of some kind wrong.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

OK, now that we've got a crank signal, can you post a copy of your MSQ after any changes we've discussed and a conventional data log of an attempted start?