01 VVT Miata + MS3X

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Bara
MS/Extra Newbie

01 VVT Miata + MS3X

Post by Bara »

Hi ALL!

So Im building a turbo miata with forged internals and so. I Decided to follow this write up: https://trubokitty.com/#/ms3xassembly
Built everything, even the simulator board, to test it. Im in the testing phase. I got coolant temp, MAT, TPS, Wideband signals. Cant get the rpm to show up on tuner studio. Since im running an expansion board, I wonder if I need to run the crank signal in there.
Also, in the build, there are 3 potentiometers, what I need to adjust specified turn counts. Well as you can guess, I lost count. Could someone help me out, what do I need to set them? Measured resistance at certain turns.

Thank you for any pointers, help anything!

Barabas
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 01 VVT Miata + MS3X

Post by prof315 »

Ok for starters, I highly recommend using the assembly guide in the MS3/3X v3.0 hardware manual not somebody's blog.

Next concerning a lack of RPM on the stim..... being an 01 BP4W you have separate crank and cam sensors. Crank sensor goes to pin 24 on the mainboard DB37 and Cam sensor goes to the 3X DB37 Pin 32 ( Cam ) so you need both the JimStim and a JimStimX to test the rpm signal. You'll also need a pull up on the crank input

Lastly the pots. There are 4 not 3 potentiometers that require setting up. And a jumper that must be installed on the 3X board. On the main board both R52 and R56 should first be turned CCW 15-20 turns ( you can't hurt them by going too far) then turn R56 CW 6 turns. On the 3X board make sure JP7 has a jumper installed and then turn both R11 and R32 CCW 8-10 turns and finally turn R11 CW 2-3 turns.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Bara
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Bara »

So, slowly figured out a lots of stuff, driving the car on stock ecu, break in for the engine. Wanted to see the MS reading some basic data, so I plugged it in. Big nothing happened. Came to figure, that on the cars connector, where suppose to be 12 volts, Is nothing. Found a constant 12 volts on a pin right below that, and tada, my MS alive. Reads TPS, and thats pretty much it. My question is, can I use any switched 12 volt pin what I can find on the harness? On the supplied link, suppose to be 4AF powered, Im getting about 0.17 volts on that. 4AG has constant 12 volts. Can I use 3J for switched power? Could not find ANY reference, where is it coming from, that is why I am asking you guys.

Thank you for your help!

Here is the link: https://trubokitty.com/#/ms3xassembly
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

I don't know how your ecu and car is wired.

Typically there are two options:
1) Wire MS in replacement of existing ecu, which means using existing ecu switched 12v (key on), etc.
2) Wire MS standalone from scratch, so set up a relay that switches power to MS when key turned to on.

In both cases, MS will be in control and trigger other relays for coils/injectors/pump/fan/vvt when it needs to (cranking rpm/water temp/etc).

I suspect you're talking about option #1. Which means you're going to have to dig out the wiring diagram for the car. Who knows what those powers are (heater/rear demistor/radio/ecu/????), whether they are fused or not, etc.
braineack
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by braineack »

4AG is constant from the battery.
4AF is switched (from main relay) and the correct pin to use to power the MS3x. (was key inserted and turned to ON?)

to get RPM sync on the stim, you must send the 2nd trigger from the stim to pin 32 of the upper db37.
Also, in the build, there are 3 potentiometers, what I need to adjust specified turn counts. Well as you can guess, I lost count. Could someone help me out, what do I need to set them?
ever thought about resetting them back CCW and counting CW again?

fwiw: my guide isn't a random blog
1991 Boosted Miata Running MS3 + MSX w/Full Seq.
https://www.trubokitty.com
Bara
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Bara »

I figured the potentio meters already, thank you. I found one switched 12 volts, hoping for that to be a good one. Ordered a wiring diagram in between.