Sharing VR sensors

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MalcolmV8
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Sharing VR sensors

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I'm installing a MS3Pro along side my factory ECU in a 2003 Cobra. The stock ECU will remain to drive the gauge cluster and other misc stuff it does, cooling fans etc. The MS3 however will drive the coils, injectors, and idle air control motor. This means both ECUs need to read crank and cam VR sensors. Is it OK to just splice into MS3 into the same wires two wires coming off the two VR sensors and let it feed both ECUs? If not how do I need to do it?
KAT PWR
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Sharing VR sensors

Post by KAT PWR »

I would think you need to build a op-amp circuit so you're not drawing on the signal need by the megasquirt ECU. but why run it like this? Megasquirt can control fans, what other stuff does it run besides the gauge cluster?
MalcolmV8
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MalcolmV8 »

The gauge cluster is my main concern. Fans and what not are secondary and I can move to the MS3 at some point. I've not heard of having to do an op-amp circuit. You'd think the MS3 and the factory ECU have very high impedance inputs and don't actually put a drain on the VR circuits but I really don't know.
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

Without actually knowing I think you are right in assuming very high impedance inputs and most likely you can just splice the signal to feed both ECUs.
Martin, Sweden
Mopar 512 cui, 8.4 liters, high compression, fuel E85, full sequential control by MS3X, burning rubber just blipping the throttle... :D
MalcolmV8
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yeah hopefully its that simple. Building a new motor so I'd like to fire it up on the stock ECU since I know fueling and timing will be correct and I can proceed to break it in. Once the motor's broke in and running decent I plan to start swapping over to the MS3 which I'm wiring in now. I'm using deutsch connectors to make the harness simple. Unplug ignition and injectors and IAC motor from stock ECU and plug into MS3. Fuel pump I'll probably swap over too. Most other stuff will be shared such as TPS, VR sensors etc. Coolant and intake air temps will be duplicated since I'm installing the GM sensors for the MS3 and I'll be adding a couple MAP sensors too. One for boost and one for barometric pressure.

I figured out the majority of it... I think lol. The VR inputs was concerning. We'll see how it goes.
KAT PWR
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by KAT PWR »

it might be that simple. I know with speed sensors (VR type) and most temp sensors you do you need a op-amp to buffer the cricuit as to not interfer with the main component using the sensor.
MalcolmV8
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MalcolmV8 »

KAT PWR wrote:it might be that simple. I know with speed sensors (VR type) and most temp sensors you do you need a op-amp to buffer the cricuit as to not interfer with the main component using the sensor.
What sort of op-amp setup do you use? Be good info to know if I run into something like this.
KAT PWR
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by KAT PWR »

I've looked into it cause I wanted to data log oil temp and psi from one my gauges. When I tried tap into it the readings changed. I've looked into it, ordered the parts for the circuit, but I have yet to build and test it. All you need to do is build a simple Voltage Follower circuit
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... pvar2.html

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
MalcolmV8
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MalcolmV8 »

That's interesting because you'd think the MS3 has high impedance op-amp type inputs.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

The MS3 has the same VR inputs as the MS1 or MS2, because it's installed on the same mainboard, whether V3.0 or V3.57. The MS3-Pro has the newer MAX9926 input chips. What someone using a boxed MS3 *can* do is buy a Dual VR board from jbperf, which uses the same conditioning ICs, install it safely in the proto area & connect the output to the VR_out pad.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
MalcolmV8
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MalcolmV8 »

dontz125 wrote:The MS3 has the same VR inputs as the MS1 or MS2, because it's installed on the same mainboard, whether V3.0 or V3.57. The MS3-Pro has the newer MAX9926 input chips. What someone using a boxed MS3 *can* do is buy a Dual VR board from jbperf, which uses the same conditioning ICs, install it safely in the proto area & connect the output to the VR_out pad.
Ah ok, I'm using an MS3-Pro. I have a bad habit of calling it an MS3 for short but realize that creates confusion with the actual MS3. I will make sure to be more clear on that. Thanks for clarifying those differences.
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Hi,

For this purpose I use to use a 1:1 transformator to split VR signal between ECUs.
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr
MalcolmV8
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Manu wrote:Hi,

For this purpose I use to use a 1:1 transformator to split VR signal between ECUs.
Can you share a link of such a transformer and how one would wire it up?
MalcolmV8
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Well I decided to do some testing and figure this out. My engine is out the car and everything is tore apart so I had to get creative. So I built this little rig real quick to trigger the crank sensor.

Had it all rigged up on the ground like this and powered with the drill.

The stock ECU seemed to accept that input just fine. Even the tach was working on the dash. So I started the data logger on the stock ECU and verified everything looked nice. It did.
So then I wired in the MS3-Pro to the same circuit so it was sharing the crank VR sensor. First ran another test with the stock ECU and it responded good as before. Then I powered up the MS3-pro and once again the stock ECU had no issues. The data log on the MS3-pro look good too and they both data logged the same thing. Both show a peak RPM of 3191.

Here's the stock ECU data log

The ms3-pro

I also used the tooth logger diagnostic tool on the MS3-pro and the wave form coming in on the crank sensor looks good.

So unless I missed something I think I'm going to be OK with the MS3-pro and the stock ECU sharing VR sensors once my car goes back together. They appear to both be functioning as expected.
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

Excellent work! :D
Martin, Sweden
Mopar 512 cui, 8.4 liters, high compression, fuel E85, full sequential control by MS3X, burning rubber just blipping the throttle... :D
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Sure sounds like proof of concept! 8)
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
MalcolmV8
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yeah pretty happy about that working. It could have turned into a complicated mess.
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Thank you for testing this and sharing the results! I'm setting something similar up right now with a VR sensor on a 60-2 wheel in a BMW, and I was worried I might not be able to share the crank sensor signal.
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
Flaming_Crossbow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Flaming_Crossbow »

Manu wrote:Hi,

Manu, are you willing to share what type transformator you exactly used?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

MalcolmV8 wrote:That's interesting because you'd think the MS3 has high impedance op-amp type inputs.
I'd say the danger is the shared ground causing a ground loop and noise. Not loading down the VR sensor.

Pretty common problem with audio, so the cures are the same.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.