cant rev past 6300rpm

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

CMac89
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: cant rev past 6300rpm

Post by CMac89 »

Matt Cramer wrote:
CMac89 wrote:What is your tooth number 1 angle?

I was getting the same problem last year. My angle was 150 degrees BTDC then I went to 130 degrees and it raised my phantom rev limiter from 4800 to 5900. I then moved to 71 degrees and I'm guessing the problem is solved. Come to find out, something documentation doesn't mention, it's best to have a tooth one angle between 50 and 80 degrees.

Not sure if this is something that can be fixed in code?
This caution applies to either Basic Trigger mode or very low tooth count trigger wheels, such as a 4 tooth crank wheel. You need a tooth that is relatively close to and before your maximum spark advance. With a high tooth count wheel, you will have teeth everywhere and the tooth #1 is only an issue if you are using a missing toothed wheel and having a hard time detecting the missing tooth wheel while cranking due to compression slowdown. With a 4 tooth crank wheel, this is more critical - the engine speed may have changed significantly between seeing a tooth and the time to fire the spark if there's a long distance between the tooth signal and your timing.
For my case, I have a 36-1 trigger wheel and it was happening under the toothed wheel mode.
MS3Pro Ultimate
1994 Thunderbird SC
Fully Sequential, SVO Odd Fire V6
IGN-1A Coils - Brisk resistor plugs
12 magnet IW wheel (troubleshooting Holley 554-124)
Ford factory half-moon hall effect cam sensor
Using Dual Wheel non-missing tooth crank wheel strategy
Twin Turbo / TH400