Engine State Settings, some questions...

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Engine State Settings, some questions...

Post by MustangMike »

Confused with the lack of info and discussion on these new settings. Yes they have tool tips and are in the manual but I have no idea of the theory behind the changes.
From the release notes:
1. Engine states
These must be configured for idle, overrun, idle VE, idle advance.

Questions;
-If I don't change the default Engine State Settings and don't turn on any of the new states, can I continue using 1.5 dumb and happy or are there new defaulted settings that could change the way my car runs?
-On a car I tune, after loading 1.5 I noticed the setting was set to turn the fan off with the tps and vss. Owner says he didn't turn it on, was it on by default?
-If Engine State Settings is configured, Does the new Idle VE when ON override the regular fuel Ve table?
Ide advance Settings states" The purpose of Idle advance is to allow specific timing control when the engine is idling, particularly for stabilization"
-How is it different (what are the benefits) from just changing the timing table settings where the engine idles?
-What are those default settings in engine states? middle of the road, like a chevy 350?

I couldn't find much info or feedback searching the forums on these new settings.
Thanks for any info.
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
65 Cobra Daytona FFR, Terminator 4.6 4v, TKO 600
90stang5speed
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Engine State Settings, some questions...

Post by 90stang5speed »

Saw your post from about a year ago. Did you figure out the "engine state" part in the tune? Asking because I'm new to the ms3pro and don't quite understand it myself.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

It is basically a way to tell the ECU what state the engine is between idle, cruise, accel, decel, etc. Several features activate/deactivate based on these states.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

MustangMike wrote:Confused with the lack of info and discussion on these new settings. Yes they have tool tips and are in the manual but I have no idea of the theory behind the changes.
From the release notes:
1. Engine states
These must be configured for idle, overrun, idle VE, idle advance.

Questions;
-If I don't change the default Engine State Settings and don't turn on any of the new states, can I continue using 1.5 dumb and happy or are there new defaulted settings that could change the way my car runs?
-On a car I tune, after loading 1.5 I noticed the setting was set to turn the fan off with the tps and vss. Owner says he didn't turn it on, was it on by default?
-If Engine State Settings is configured, Does the new Idle VE when ON override the regular fuel Ve table?
Ide advance Settings states" The purpose of Idle advance is to allow specific timing control when the engine is idling, particularly for stabilization"
-How is it different (what are the benefits) from just changing the timing table settings where the engine idles?
-What are those default settings in engine states? middle of the road, like a chevy 350?

I couldn't find much info or feedback searching the forums on these new settings.
Thanks for any info.
I would say that it would depend on what you use on your engine. I found out that my closed loop idle control didn't activate properly when these weren't set. Haven't tried any of the others, as determining the values is not so easy.