race cam. vs. speed density

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

race cam. vs. speed density

Post by E30stroker »

i have a cam with the specifications hand written as such from the shop that ground it,
217* 280* .260l 408*
" " " "
im having a rough time at idle,, if what im hearing is what im thinking .. it settles at idle, lopes over 2 pumpes then something gets adjusted and revs spike goes lean comes back down to idle and lopes twice
i know some cams can be hard to get vacume at idle, could this be throwing off my ms3 pro
pre boost ,87 327i stroker, 885 head and b25 intake,, cometic .140' head head gasket , IG1000's, MS3 PRO, long tube headers, mild porting, race cam, welded diff puck clutch, poly all around, subframes reainforced, 2.93 rear diff, dtm shifter, aem wideband, e46 front controll arms, slr mini kit,
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: race cam. vs. speed density

Post by nathaninwa »

Can you post a log and an msq
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by E30stroker »

got it to idle.msq
got it to idle.msq
\
2017-03-12_15.15.19.msl
first log hunting, second log sorted out idle adjustments by hand and using pwm
pre boost ,87 327i stroker, 885 head and b25 intake,, cometic .140' head head gasket , IG1000's, MS3 PRO, long tube headers, mild porting, race cam, welded diff puck clutch, poly all around, subframes reainforced, 2.93 rear diff, dtm shifter, aem wideband, e46 front controll arms, slr mini kit,
E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by E30stroker »

no problem with the cam or speed density as far as i can tell
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Not even a race cam. As best I can guess, it is 217 duration @ .050, 280 advertised duration, .260" cam lift, .408" valve lift. Not a bad street/strip cam slightly smaller than the one in my sons 6cyl. SD all the way with that, should be able to idle around 900rpm warm.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by E30stroker »

awsome man thats the most info ive got on it since it tagged along with the 885 head purchase, good to know, he said it was racey haha. figured it be better than the stck cam,
, ive noticed it doesnt like anything under 800. good to know im shooting straight for 900 now thank you
but what did you mean by "SD all the way with that"?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

SD, speed density will work, AN is more of a last resort when map is virtually unusable.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by E30stroker »

ahH I see, gotcha, thank you!.. im a noob haha
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

You probably want to enable MAP averaging if it isn't already.
That's a pretty mild cam, should be no worries.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by E30stroker »

yes it is on, thank you for your help this thing is almost road worthy,
i do have a question for you ,, i reset my fuel ve table afr tables using the table generator, in the dropdown tool menu, as far as i can tell they look way better than the example table that i started with, i have a current msq
going to go try this out, if i get the ok, grom has been giving me a hand to,
dont think i could have got this to idle without input from both of you , thank you
im not sure if it showes the engine specs that i entered into the table generator so im just going to note them
idle 900 45kpa
redline 7500
peak power 170 @ 5800 100kpa
peak tq 200 @ 4600 100kpa
displacement 2700cc

i just tried to fill it in as best as posible, kpa at peak power or tq i have no idea , \
obviusly this motor is a frankenstien and im not sure what the number will be but i think that me set up the table better,
with new fuel tables.msq
E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by E30stroker »

this is with adjusted afr table and i played with the idle advance
with new fuel tables.msq
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

You're making progress!

Just remember you need to give the engine what it wants.
You may have a slight flat spot or hump in your VE table, don't worry about it, just give it what it wants (more or less fuel based on AFR reading).
Cams can make the AFR read slightly leaner then it really is at times. Don't worry about this yet.

A consistent lopey idle is badass.
E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by E30stroker »

i know i love that sound, this one had a pretty steady lope doesnt sounds like a race cam but thats cool, still sounds waaay better
tried it with my last set up, didnt go so i started with no warm up enrichment, and got it started on a new ve table with my idle kpa at 60 in the table generator gave me a bit different VE table looks spot on,

anyway i got it to start cold and then added warm up enrichment to get it to run at a good afr, ended up being 122% after it got warm.
but its running and idling pretty well revs up nice. let off sounds like it has 2 step running, POP pop!!!
took a data log of a good idle and a few rev ups,
im not great at reading the mega log viewer yet but it seems to be ok,
do you think i should be able to drive it with this tune?
or is the fact im still at 122% WUE and my pwm is maxed open, on open loop, basically useless haha
with new fuel tables.msq
2017-03-14_17.42.16.msl
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the idle looks a lot better now, but you want you wue to end at 100% really, so warm the engine up drop the wue to 100 but raise the ve table numbers to get you the required afr.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by E30stroker »

got it to idle pretty good started with a new generated map with an idle value set to 57in the table generator, and adjusted the afr table around idle to be a little richer

stated it pulled down the wue, as it warmed up so i think that set really well because it ended up at 100%
than i opened my afr table well running warm and adjusted to few boxes that the idle dot bounced around on and got it to run pretty good at 990 i dont know if i can get it to come down anymore,
runns at a good temp with the fan running revs and come back to idle good
except for this one datalog that i manage to capture where it hunted up and down a few time after i let off the throttle,
and another thing may just be a side effect of thinner wall stainless headers and wasted spark may be a tinging coming from inside the header near the head,
2017-03-15_19.03.47.msl
Curnt m20 stkr msq.msq
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

you pulled fuel by reducing the wue but did not add fuel to the ve table.......... so ego is stepping in and adding extra fuel (40% or so) this is not ideal.

set the ve table boxes where you idle to 32-35 this should mean that the ego correction does not need to add fuel and you should be close to your desired afr. don't have ego correction running till about 1300rpm having it active at idle will give you all sorts of headache's.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by E30stroker »

piledriver wrote:You probably want to enable MAP averaging if it isn't already.
That's a pretty mild cam, should be no worries.
just wondering where i find the setting map averaging,, when i first read it i was thinking of map multiply setting,
im actually not sure if map averaging is on or not :/\
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

basic/load settings, map sample settings.

latest msq was set to event average already
E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by E30stroker »

Curnt m20 stkr msq.msq
never mind haha i found it under - map sample settings, it is set to - use event average
ive also changed my fuel ve table numbers i used a table generated again by just changing my engine idle kpa to 35.
then i set ego to 1300 rpm \
just started it , then adjusted wue down when it was cold ended up at 100%,
seems to be running good
further adjusted the ve table at idle
no data log yet,
but here is my msq