Controlling a pump through CAN bus

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MalcolmV8
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Controlling a pump through CAN bus

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Hey Guys,

So I'm still wiring up my MS3-Pro and don't have it running yet. I have an intercooler pump for my supercharger that I recently purchased. It's a very powerful and expensive pump and I see the manufacture offers an upgraded version of the pump with CAN bus ability so you can control pump speed and a few other things. Pump speed is of main interest to me since it draws 25 amps at full power but if I was able to program the MS3-Pro to spin the pump down based on supercharger intercooler fluid temps that would be very nice.

I'm not familiar enough with CAN in general and definitely not with the MS3-Pro's CAN abilities to know if something like this is possible. The manufacture needs me to make a decision and send this pump back and pay the up charge for the programmable pump or just keep what I have.

I've attached the CAN communication manual for the pump to this post in hopes someone who knows a thing or two about CAN could take a peek and say yes you can control the pump speed or no save the up charge and shipping costs and just keep the pump you have.

As you will see in the manual it needs to be able to talk CAN J1939.

Thanks for any pointers or info.
Malcolm
Motor Controller CAN Communication_RevF.pdf
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Controlling a pump through CAN bus

Post by Suprazz »

it's a nice unit but you wont be able to control the pump directly from the MS over the canbus. You would need a controller.

You could use instead a pwm output (with an external controller) to lower the pump speed or add an inline resistor with a relay to enable the inline resistor and limit the current draw.

Sam
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
MalcolmV8
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Controlling a pump through CAN bus

Post by MalcolmV8 »

It actually has a built in voltage booster and circuit board on it. It ramps up the voltage and obviously draws a lot of current. Using a PWM setup would probably freak out the circuit board on it and not allow it to run at all. A current limiting resister may work but I'm not sure. I'd hate to burn up the pump.

I appreciate the feedback on the CAN bus part. I thought maybe the MS3-pro could control it but if not that's ok. I'll just go back to my original plan of running it full time. I just thought if I have the option of swapping out my pump for the more expensive version and controlling it with the MS3-pro even better.

Thanks again.