Cam/Crank troubles

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Mind_if_i_joe
MS/Extra Newbie

Cam/Crank troubles

Post by Mind_if_i_joe »

OK, so I am trying to get a MS3.0/MS3X setup up and running. I want to run full sequential with stock MK3 VW 60-2 crank and hall 1 window cam. I am using the stock harness and have just built an adapter. Continuity seems to be good and my connections seem to make sense but I am open to suggestions in this regard too.

The problem I am having is that it works fine on my stim but as soon as I give it power in the car, it goes a bit crazy. My coil starts firing and I think my injectors go full hog. I also get crazy RPMs on the dash even with Tacho out turned off. I get the same response with both sensors disconnected so I suspect it is something to do with my TunerStudio configuration or my harness but I have run out of ideas for what to try.

MSQ is attached.

Thanks in advance,
Joe
2017-03-19_16.38.52.msq
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Cam/Crank troubles

Post by elutionsdesign »

Need a datalog to see sync (or lack of it), those are the *.msl files in the datalog folder of the project.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Mind_if_i_joe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mind_if_i_joe »

So part of my problem is I can't get it to connect while it is going crazy. The box clearly has power and it connects fine to the stim, but no luck in the car. I can upload a stim log if that helps but I can't imagine it would.

In hind sight, I imagine there is a way to get it to log automatically to my sd card. I'll look into that tonight.
Mind_if_i_joe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mind_if_i_joe »

So is there a way to get a cam/crank log on your sd card?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Try putting it back in the car, but connect things one-at-a-time. Start by connecting ground and the "12V raw" power; see if you can get reliable com with TS that way. Then add in, one-by-one, the basic sensors like MAT, ECT, and TPS; MAP, too, if you are using an external one. This may seem like a tedious process, and not thrilling if you have to partially disassemble your harness, but it is a methodical way to quickly and definitively track down the problem. After you have the basic sensors sorted out, then move on to connecting coils, injectors, CKP sensor, etc. Again, one-by-one...

PS: no, you can't get the comp and tooth-log stuff on SD. You can get "sync loss", but your problems seem to be more basic than that.

Another PS: After re-reading your first post, it sounds like the sensors are working OK, so leave that wiring in place. Just disconnect the coils and injectors for now, see if things stabilize like that.

And yet another PS: Since you have a 60-2 crank wheel, disconnect the CMP sensor for now and get it out of the picture.
Mind_if_i_joe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mind_if_i_joe »

Thanks billr, it sounds like that is how I am going to have to move forward. That's what I get for trying to build an adapter with minimal under the hood time. I knew I would end up redoing my adapter anyhow, I guess now is the right time. I just have to actually find time...
Mind_if_i_joe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mind_if_i_joe »

So I ended up completely rebuilding my adapter. It was more than a little frustrating because I wasn't able to recreate the condition that gave me the behavior I was seeing before. I got power, fuel, spark, iat, clt, cam, crank, and tps all reporting good values by the end of last weekend. Using the log cam and crank spark mode I sorted out my cam/crank timing and polling settings and it ran with a bit of throttle input. This weekend I got my idle control motor running as well so it starts and ides (a bit high still) all by itself.