Overwritting TCU microsquirt and using for added I/O? WORKS

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

HSPTuned
MS/Extra Newbie

Overwritting TCU microsquirt and using for added I/O? WORKS

Post by HSPTuned »

I have an LSX 24x harness as well as a 4l80e TCU controller with matching harness on a first gen MS3 pro with the revised 24x harness (green Fan wire)

I have a full Reverse Manual Valve body with transbrake in my 4l80e now and do not need the microsquirt controller to shift for me,

is there anyway I can overwrite the TCU into an expansion module?

I need about 3 more analog sensors to datalog (crankcase KPA/Fuel pressure/ coolant pressure)

I want to log these through the micro as i am out of usable I/O on the ls 24x harness.

I also want to keep my input shaft speed sensor and my tail shaft speed sensor on the 80e for MPH and Converter slip calculations

is there a certain way to go about this? What needs to be done to the 4l80e harness to keep CAN connectivity with the MS3Pro? I have not been able to find any reading material on this matter.
Last edited by HSPTuned on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Overwritting TCU microsquirt and using for added I/O?

Post by jsmcortina »

No idea on the harness.

The Microsquirt IO-box firmware can be used on the Microsquirt for more I/O.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I just did this in a sorta kinda way. Moved from and 80e to a glide. Just need to connect to the micro on its own and upload new firmware. The wiring will need to checked for the current speed sensor, but the canbus wiring directly relates. Just look through the I/O instructions on its specific wiring

Edit. I was thinking more on this, and it might be best to buy a short micro harness as the wiring labeling would be correct per the insteuctoons
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
HSPTuned
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HSPTuned »

Small update on this.

I used the serial data cable that came with the MS3pro to load the new firmware on the micro.

the same branch labeled "transmission" still works by leaving it hooked up to the micro.

I basically compared both pinouts on the trans harness, and what the I/O is setup for. I was glad to find that the speed sensors are wired spot on, trans temp still works too.

I have successfully wired up everything I wanted to and is operating as it should.

the only thing I need to do is adjust my settings for MPH, (reads way too fast) and I want to use my old input speed shaft connector on my front ABS sensor (99 Fbody car)
for traction control.
Speed and gear sensors.PNG
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Overwritting TCU microsquirt and using for added I/O? WO

Post by nathaninwa »

Nice work. I like the flexibility of the megasquirt family. The developers have done a great job
HSPTuned
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HSPTuned »

Off topic question, why did you switch to a glide?
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Don't get me wrong here at all, I love that 80e and the things software wise that it can do. It's now going to love behind the big block in my tow rig

The switch to the Glide came from needing its gear ratio. I had to kill so much power last year launching in first and literally shifting before the Christmas tree. I was rpm and boost limited. It either went wheels up or spun. So with the Glide I can add more launch boost and rpm, not have to shift till about 100mph, and it saved me just at the 100lb mark

I installed a micro switch on the shifter so I can still run a boost by gear setup too

Depending on how I like this 1.80 year set, I've been looking at the 1.69 gear as well.

And the car is becoming more drag race than street. Because of this I bought another 280z to drive around like this was kinda meant to be as well!
HSPTuned
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HSPTuned »

thats awesome man, whatever works for you lol