MS3x

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3x

Post by billr »

Set the "wheel diameter" to that of your tire OD, that should be in the 25-30" range.

Does the VSS reluctor have 31 teeth, and does it rotate at driveshaft speed? I'm a bit unclear what your have there, maybe a picture would help. The "gear" on some VSS units isn't the actual reluctor, and engages another gear in the trans that changes the VSS rotation speed from that of the trans tail-shaft? Clear as mud now? Keep asking questions, I'll keep trying to help...
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

I uploaded a picture of what the VSS looks like but it's not from mine. The gear on the end is changeable to ones with different amounts of teeth and is on a small metal shaft that slides into the VSS. There is a little metal thing inside that thebshaft slides over and spins which generates the speedo signal.

I'm not sure how how many teeth the tail shaft has. The gear spins off the same shaft that spins the driveshaft. I can try to get more pictures in a little bit if it will help.

I am running 40" tires and the wheel diameter asks for it in meters, google says that is 1.016.
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

After talking to some jeep gurus, the VSS I have outputs a digitally square wave. Is this something the MS3x card can read?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Oops, I missed that you had "preferred length units" set for meters! Sorry.

Yes, a square-wave will work easily.

I believe that VSS unit is similar to the GMs I m familiar with, and the "number of teeth" is not the 31 on that red gear and it is not turning at "driveline" speed.

You need to first confirm how many reluctor teeth are inside the VSS, and what the ratio is between the VSS speed and the trans tail-shaft speed. If the VSS is Hall, like you think, then you may be able to count the teeth on the bench with a voltmeter. The ratio may be a bit harder to do, since you can't see the outboard end of the VSS shaft to simply count turns of the VSS while turning the driveshaft. I suspect that red color of the VSS gear is actually a code for what ratio it is, so do some research there.

Once you have that info there are two ways that I think will work to set this up properly in TS. You can use "driveline" like you have, but have to revise the "final ratio" (diff ratio) to include the VSS/trans ratio. Or, you can do the math and set "pulses per mile/km" instead of "driveline".
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

Sorry for the late update, where I work at I don't get cell service.

I switched to pulses per mile and got it with a couple mph of my gps. Yet with that success I ultimately failed. I can not get my physical speedo to work. For VSS out I tried the different settings and adjustments. For the VSS output I tried INJ Bank 2, VVT, and Nitrous 1. I'm not sure if I need a resistor or pull up thing to get the speedometer to work.

I realized I had it set to meter and changed it Inches. I have 40" tires with 4.10 axle gearing.

Once this speedo gets working I should be fully operational for wiring.

EDIT: I don't know what it means or if it helps but I've been reading my speedo needs 8ppr to work properly.
AlanJ
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AlanJ »

Did you solve your lack of power issues? i have a 3.9L (5.2 with 2 cylinders cut off) hopefully we can help each other out.... What is the info for your engine. i cant find your previous post/thread...
92 Dakota Work in progress (ms3x)
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

It was bad timing and bad fuel table. Once I got it to run on COP and fixed my tables all my issues went away. Having a wideband o2 also really helps.

Mines kind of a bastard since the engine is in my jeep using different gear jeep gauges with a mix of Ford/Chevy and aftermarket parts.

If there is anything I can help you with let me know.
AlanJ
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AlanJ »

The fuel table is the biggest issue, I'm using the autotune feature but it changes soo much over time. one day it will be 40 at idle the next it will be 70. then back to 30 or 40. have you noticed this with yours? I'm told its because the intake is temp sensitive for fuel. all my sensors are working excellent.

Can you give a quick run down how you tuned yours. I don't have a dyno or even know my injector size or dwell..... I guessed at 19# and used standard dwell.
92 Dakota Work in progress (ms3x)