MS3x

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3x

Post by JCashen »

Good Afternoon,

I had a thread on here previously for MS3X on my 5.2l Magnum. I figured it would be better to start a new thread than revive my old one.

Curious if there is any recommendations for my tune. Currently I can get to third gear but it really lacks power. The fuel VE tables I've been using the auto tune on.

Still need to adjust my pots since I get misses at 2k.

Also curious what I can do to get it to run with Seq COP instead of Wasted COP. It runs on wasted but when I try Seq it just pops and back fires. Maybe my cam is out of time?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3x

Post by billr »

Post an MSL (run log) too; and a comp log for the COP issue.
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

As requested.
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

I'm not sure which is which, and one of them I can't post since its over 1mb. One or two of those is of a crank attempt with Seq COP on.

I was able to adjust my pots to get it to rev smoothly to 4500. If I go CCW on the pot anymore it dies and CW lowers the RPM at which the miss occurs. The other pot on the mainboard doesn't seem to make a difference. Not sure if the pots on the MS3X card for the cam sensor would effect anything.

If I missed anything or you need me to take better logs let me know and I will get them ASAP.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

It looks like the cam-sensor tooth is almost coincident with a crank tooth, the manual says coincident is a no-no. You should move that.
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

billr wrote:It looks like the cam-sensor tooth is almost coincident with a crank tooth, the manual says coincident is a no-no. You should move that.

Is that by actually adjusting the distributor itself? The cam sensor has the one tooth that is half of the circle and passes through the magnet.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Yes, you can just turn the dizzy a bit.

You are using COP, so not using the dizzy to "distribute" the spark to the cap towers.

Oh, I should ask: You have a true crank wheel, not sensors in the dizzy for both CKP and CMP?
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

I know it changes when the computer will see the cam rotation in correlation to the crank sensor. I have a true crank sensor, stock magnum crank wheel 8 evenly spaced teeth.

I'll give it a shot and post up a data log and comp log of the attempts.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I'm not sure if it is the falling edge of the CMP signal (in comp log) or rising edge that is the critical one. You should wait for somebody else to advise on that.
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

I adjusted the distributor until the cam was in between crank signals. I also had to add a little under 300 to my tooth angle and got it started. I reverified base timing. It sounded good only problem is I can't get my idle below 1300 rpm even with only 1 degree of timing (also verified with a timing light).

Edit: Also that is running lean according to my wideband (only have 1 installed on the driver bank exhaust atm)
Last edited by JCashen on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

More.
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

Last, my current tune. Sorry if there is too many logs, not sure if more is less or less is more.

I was trying to play with my timing, AFR table, and idle control before I noticed my coolant started leaking.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

You have it running COP now? That must be a thrill! To get the idle speed down, cut off some air going in. Either reduce the IAC steps, or close the throttle blade(s) some more. That is assuming you have checked that there are no vacuum leaks, air is only getting into the intake through the throttle/IAC.
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

Yes it is running on COP! Sounds so much better than wasted. I did find a vacuum line disconnected which I re hooked, other than that I reduced the idle speed screw. Not sure what you mean about the iac steps, or whether I should be using closed loop or open loop on the settings.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Stay with open-loop idle control for now, get that as good as you can before trying open. Reduce the steps in "Idle Warmup Duty/Steps".

Have you tried wasted-COP now that you have the CMP sorted out? It really should run exactly the same in both wasted-COP and COP.
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

I haven't tried going back to wasted cop, don't see why j would since you helped me get COP running. Tomorrow I'll adjust the settings you said and post back with the results.

Do you have any recommendations on my VE table, AFR table, and ignition table based off the running log? Currently the engine map is a lot lower than it used to be.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

"Yes it is running on COP! Sounds so much better than wasted."

I was responding to that, just wondering since it shouldn't make any difference. I assume it would run well with wasted, now that you have the CMP resolved, but no real need to try wasted again.

The MAP was probably low because the idle speed was high. I may peek at the previously-posted MSQ/MSL again, but would rather wait for the most current.
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

I think since I had to add to my tooth angle to get it to run on COP, Wasted COP must have been covering that up. Since the change I've noticed lower engine temps and a lot better throttle response.

I tried what you said for the idle however it will not stay running below 1000 rpm. I've adjusted the idle screw on the throttle body and the Idle Warmup/Steps. I've tried adjusting my tables but it only turned out to cause a surging idle and have no throttle. With the MSQ attached I have decent but not great throttle, I'm thinking my timing tables are the cause.

I'm not sure what to do for the idle. I tried both open/warmup and closed loop. Before going to COP I could get it to idle around 850 with the MAP around 50 but it didn't run as good.
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

Does anyone know what pins are capable of VSS output? Also how do I determine proper settings to get my VSS to work?
JCashen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JCashen »

I have a 3 wire VSS that has a gear with 31 teeth that goes into the transfer case housing reading off the rear output shaft..

I am using the PT4 pin as VSS Input (I assume this is inputting the signal from the VSS) and inj bank from the main board for VSS output. However regardless of settings or clocking of the VSS I can not get any signal on my physical gauge or the gauge in tuner studio.

Tunerstudio should show something even if the ink bank isn't setup for the kind of output correct?

My settings are the same as the last .msq I uploaded.

If anyone could give some advice on this as I'm completely lost and can't find any help in the manual or in other threads.