MS3X Dual Cam Sensor Wiring for VVT

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sjl008
Helpful MS/Extra'er
Location: 'round the clock-'round the world. 127.0.0.1 mostly....

MS3X Dual Cam Sensor Wiring for VVT

Post by sjl008 »

Addenda to http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 31&t=65594

Nissan V6 InfinityQ37, VQ37 2010yr.model engine.
MS3X V3.0Board w/Expansion card.
BreadBoarded VVEL motor controller w/dual quadrature encoders.

I only see pin#27 as input. (single input/single output.)

Forums I've read some posts but unable to find ANYTHING.... is it me? or is there some instruction somewhere I could be pointed to helping me wire up (2)CAS and (2) PWM type Nissan VVT solenoids. I see the VQ35DE option in TS decoder settings and I'm at a point where I CAN wire up a composite log to post, but I think this info I need already exists ....?

I've gone through the manuals and found nothing, also searched the forums -- keep in mind I am dyslexic & and missing an eye so I may be mising something somewhere.
Last edited by sjl008 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Signature: google Henry Ford's quotes ;)
sjl008
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3X Dual Cam Sensor Wiring for VVT

Post by sjl008 »

Well, no response. So I went ahead and mod'd the board:

#1-Jumped JS10 to SPR3 (PIN5MainPlug).
#2- Put CRK Sensor back on factory flywheel trigger which is (Someone confirm if correct) 36-2-2-2, which I believe to be as I counted: 10 teeth 3 times separated by 2 missing teeth in between.
#3- Configured in TS for VQ35DE, full sequential, seq (not wasted) ignition COP. (Which I'll change back n forth wasted whatever to get it running again.)
#4- VVT inputs Cam1 & Cam2 to JS10PT5 input; outputs conf. to MAIN for VVT1 and Boost for VVT2 obviously using MS3X Boost as the output PWM.

The log I've included for diagnostics, since I'm unfamiliar with a correct composite. If someone familiar can check it out, and tell me 'whatsUp' with it.... cool. One of the [Cam2] composites looks upside down, but they are wired the same as when it was running b4. +5v/GND/Sig respectively.

Also, Bazaar 10 then 11 tooth read in composite. WHY? poor signal triggering on the factory flywheel? I had good idling w/clean trigger when setup on the front mounted 36-2 trigger wheel. :cry:

Thanks!

:shock:
sjl008
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sjl008 »

Plz answer if someone has time:

Looking at the .csv in rendering mode in MS Viewer, the bottom is crank..... ok. The Top is Cam1 or cam2 in green, middle trigger line should be SECOND cam trigger wheel right?
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

sjl008 wrote:Plz answer if someone has time:

Looking at the .csv in rendering mode in MS Viewer, the bottom is crank..... ok. The Top is Cam1 or cam2 in green, middle trigger line should be SECOND cam trigger wheel right?

Unchecking render non-interrupt data reveals the crank teeth.

I think you have good signals but you may need to change capture edge on crank or cam (if possible on cam)

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS3 ... 4-181.html
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
sjl008
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sjl008 »

Peter Florance wrote:

Unchecking render non-interrupt data reveals the crank teeth.

I think you have good signals but you may need to change capture edge on crank or cam (if possible on cam)

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS3 ... 4-181.html
THANKS PETER,
I got it fired up with the stock flywheel trigger yesterday, set to "ALPHA-N, adjusted the cams to 3/4 open and ....WOW!!!

Rev'd like a Mad Dog!....sounded aggressive and screamed 'CRISPLY' when I snapped the throttle. Yes Singular -- throttle since I did away with the electronic TBs & custom made a single intake TB by building a custom tube. Now I just need to work out the bugs and tune it enough for the car install.

Now I need to dbl check stability with the factory flywheel and megasquirt's signal capture with the stock Hall Effect, and confirm VVT operation. (Exciting Stuff....)

Will post pic later.

Thnx MS supporters!
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Can you post a composite of it running? Might come in handy for one of us.
Nice work!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
sjl008
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sjl008 »

Peter Florance wrote:Can you post a composite of it running? Might come in handy for one of us.
Nice work!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Yes, I'm on it. Had a bad DPDT switch - one side wasn't supplying power of all things(Buy American! ;p ) so replacing it now, then I'll fire up n log.

Here's the project pics currently. The VVEL control is proprietary but .msq will be available of course. I'll post log soon as I get it running somewhat smooth. No o2 sensors yet (out of funds for the moment - n want it to be dual wideband o2)
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

No.
See the image on this page: http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... .5-50.html

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
sjl008
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sjl008 »

jsmcortina wrote:

No.
See the image on this page: http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... .5-50.html

James
Thanks Mr. Cortina (I like those cars BTW ;) for your reply. I believe that "Red" bottom signal as 'sync loss' showing I've got something sloppy in my setup, and I'll further investigate the cause.

I did get a response from an undisclosed Helper who didn't need to clarify since I didn't buy their product even though, he was glad to tell me composite logger will only show a SINGLE CAM pattern and not BOTH CAMS simultaneously; or at least thats how I understood it. SO... if I want to visually compare the L & R bank I need to do them individually then campare ( haha... misspelt it) the two against each other -- like in a printout or something. That's fine for me :)

Cheers!