Buick L67SC with MS3PRO

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TheStapler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Buick L67SC with MS3PRO

Post by TheStapler »

Ok, so I am putting the 3800SC motor from a Buick Regal GS into my 86 Fiero GT. I am selling my mustang 2.3T, but keeping my MS3pro, and thinking about using it in this swap :)

Does anyone have a good starting point with a base tune for the MS3pro? Has anyone used this on this motor?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Buick L67SC with MS3PRO

Post by Matt Cramer »

My daily driver is a Regal GS - but I haven't gotten around to throwing any mods at it so far. The main piece of advice is to use the stock C3I ignition module. It should use the same settings we have listed for a Grand National in the MS3Pro Manual.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
TheStapler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by TheStapler »

Matt Cramer wrote:My daily driver is a Regal GS
So, when are you converting it over? :P
TheStapler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by TheStapler »

Matt Cramer wrote:The main piece of advice is to use the stock C3I ignition module. It should use the same settings we have listed for a Grand National in the MS3Pro Manual.
Question though, what about igntion timing, and stuff like that?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

TheStapler wrote:
Matt Cramer wrote:The main piece of advice is to use the stock C3I ignition module. It should use the same settings we have listed for a Grand National in the MS3Pro Manual.
Question though, what about igntion timing, and stuff like that?
The MS3Pro sends a timing signal to the C3I module and the C3I module uses this to fire the coils.
TheStapler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by TheStapler »

Ok, this goes against all that I currently know/understand... LOL

This seems like it would be overkill for my application... and maybe a microsquirt would be better suited?

I am not planning on doing much with things, I want it as a daily summer driver, and an upgrade to the stock engine, but I don't want to really start messing with the factory harness in case I want to put it back to the stock 2.8V6, so that is why I was putting a standalone in, rather than reflash a stock ecu, and rewire things in the car. I am still researching, and trying to figure out the way to go about things.

Matt, as per my PM to you, you said that I could run a microsquirt, but would have to give up the IAC on the motor, but then you said it would work to swap to a VW 2 wire IAC.. Would this be a better idea for my set up?

again, thanks for everything!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

If you're up for a little soldering, consider a DIYPNP. It plugs right into the 2.8's harness and already has the stepper IAC driver onboard.