Cost effective sensor for VSS/TC pickup off lugs?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

forcefed86
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Cost effective sensor for VSS/TC pickup off lugs?

Post by forcefed86 »

Don’t need high resolution sensors. Just want the bare minimum to get a little traction control on the FWD and AFT wheel studs (4 on each wheel). Having trouble finding a reasonably priced sensor. Any suggestions? This is on a basic high HP street car. Not competition… don’t need much resolution.

I found these, but I was told they are for high resolution signals on wheels with tons of teeth? Is this true?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Left-Righ ... Oa&vxp=mtr
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Cost effective sensor for VSS/TC pickup off lugs?

Post by Rick Finsta »

Resolution is just a function of the number of teeth. The sensor might have a very small element that would lend itself to picking up smaller teeth, which would generally be found on small wheels or wheels with a lot of teeth, but a VR sensor is a VR sensor on the signal side.

I picked up some threaded-body VR sensors from Hong Kong off eBay and I'm using those - the front VSS will pick up off the wheel studs (5 per revolution) and in the rear I'm going to use either a driveshaft sensor (18 teeth per revolution) or retrofit a modern ABS wheel (40 teeth per revolution). While the best practice is for the sensing element to be about the same size as the target, within reason you should be fine.
forcefed86
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by forcefed86 »

Thanks Rick. I’m using a single tooth and a hall sensor on my drag car and it works great. I can’t find that sensor on ebay any longer. Which sensor are you using? Do you have a link?

Mine was similar to this but was under $25 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DICKEY-JOHN ... Sww3tY721D

Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Here's the VR sensor I got:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSP6729-Magneti ... Sw-0xYT8np

I am running one of Jean's dual VR boards in the case and using PIN36 and three of the SPR pins to get signal into the case.
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

On my GM rotors I'm actually picking up a casted lug on the rotor instead of the stud. I use a cherry hall sensor from Digi-key.

The sptot welds are just to firm up/gusset the bent tab to keep it from flexing.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
forcefed86
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by forcefed86 »

Thanks for the input that woudl work great. What sensor is it I didn't see any "cherry" models?

This one looks ok?

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/361998
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Yup that one. The wire colors are a bit funny compared to automotive convention, so read the diagram on the packaging and a resistor between the power and signal (pull up circuit) is needed. I use them for crank sensors on two cars as well.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!