Got dyno tuned, but power is down from before MS3Pro install

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Got dyno tuned, but power is down from before MS3Pro ins

Post by Raymond_B »

Sorry to hear that, one of the big reasons I went with Injector Dynamics is the wealth of info they provide.

http://help.injectordynamics.com/suppor ... megasquirt
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

Raymond, thanks for the tip.

I went to Deatschwerks site and found the info I needed.
You'd think their documentation with the injectors would tell you where that info was located, or better yet, just include it with the injector set, instead of making us search for it. SMH

David
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

You can also tune dead time in overrun, since the pulsewidth is very low in high engine speed, low MAP areas (throttle closed on deceleration). I use the MAPxRPM vs Duty Cycle scatter plot and move it until the little bumps on the linear curve go away.
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

Rick Finsta wrote:You can also tune dead time in overrun, since the pulsewidth is very low in high engine speed, low MAP areas (throttle closed on deceleration). I use the MAPxRPM vs Duty Cycle scatter plot and move it until the little bumps on the linear curve go away.
That's a great idea Rick. Thanks for the suggestion.
If the Deatschwerks specs don't get me where I need to be, I'll give that a try.

Thanks,
David
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

I got the 65# injectors installed and took it for another test drive today.

Recalculated the required fuel and entered the dead time of 1.2ms from Deatschwerks data and it started right up.

The idle hunted for a minute or two as it warmed up, but settled down to a stable closed loop idle.
First drive it immediately felt a little stronger and more responsive.

I changed the injector timing curve to all 360 deg as suggested in the instructions. Somehow it had been set to 55-65 deg at the low end and 90 deg from about 2500 on up.
This change seemed to help a tiny bit as well.

I did end up having to reduce the priming pulse and cranking pulse, as it wants to flood when starting up hot.
It also flooded out for a few seconds when idling a couple times. Felt like an injector stuck open, as I could see smoke from the exhaust when it happened.
I patted the throttle a couple times and it cleared up again.

Then I added another degree of timing, to 27 deg. from 3100 up, which again seemed to boost output a bit.
Now it has little trouble spinning the tires in a 3rd gear punch, but still stays hooked in 4th, so it's still not back to where it was before I started.
I need to look at the logs to make sure my fuel pump is keeping up with the larger injectors.
If so, I want to get in a couple more test drives and then take it back to my dyno tuner and see if he can max out the tune, now that I have enough fuel flow.

I'll try to compress the logs and post them, along with the tune, later this evening.
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

Finally got around to compressing and posting the logs. (Yeah, "later this evening" turned into 6 weeks.)

Here's the cold start and the final drive log with the new 65# injectors.
The tweaks I made that day are outlined in the previous post.

I wish I could work on this more often, but between work, travel, and the race car project I'm working on, it keeps getting put on the back burner. :(
I get the feeling this tune will never be truly done. :cry:
I hope to get to do another test drive sometime in September.
Any suggestions as to what to try then are appreciated.

Thanks,
David
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

Final log file.

I'm seeing a lot of knock retard, that I suspect is what's killing my power.
Could those of you with LS experience take a look at those settings and see if you think this is false knock or is actually real and something to be concerned about?

In the final log, there is knock retard starting at 180 seconds (wierd, because it was at light throttle), again at 412 seconds and at 529 seconds (both full throttle bursts).

Thanks again,
David
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

Also, check out the fluctuations in fuel pressure.
My fuel pressure sensor is teed into the mechanical gauge on the front of the driver side fuel rail.
Is this much fluctuation typical? The lowest fuel pressure seems to be unrelated to the highest injector duty cycle, which seems strange.
At the highest duty cycle in the log at 532 seconds (55.5%), the pressure is still holding 54-58psi, which looks like to me that my pump is still adequate.

Thanks,
David
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

Anyone???
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Maybe you can get more viewing posting simple MSL, not ZIP.
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

billr wrote:Maybe you can get more viewing posting simple MSL, not ZIP.
Thanks, but I can't post them that way. This site has miniscule limits for file size :cry: , so I have to compress the files to upload them.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Either take a new, shorter, log or trim one of the long ones down using MLV. The limits on file size are adequate for us to look at problem areas. I, personally, have no interest in wading through page-after-page of peaceful running looking for the few seconds that represent a problem. I'm not trying to be an ass here, just suggesting how you may net more views and help.
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

billr wrote:Either take a new, shorter, log or trim one of the long ones down using MLV. The limits on file size are adequate for us to look at problem areas. I, personally, have no interest in wading through page-after-page of peaceful running looking for the few seconds that represent a problem. I'm not trying to be an ass here, just suggesting how you may net more views and help.
Heck, I wish I could get a few pages of "peaceful running" out of this ECU.
It's still got a LOOOONNNGGGGG way to go before anything it does could be considered "peaceful". LOL
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

I have an MS3Pro on my 427 LS3 stroker.
Haven't had time to do much with it for a while, but I had moved it to another bay last weekend to work on something else, and decided to go for a spin before putting it back to sleep.

I put the laptop on it to let Tunerstudio do a little auto-tuning.
Ran warmup autotune to try to smooth out the cold start, then went for a drive, trying to get it into as many cells as possible.
Made several mild to moderate acceleration runs, and rolled into full throttle a few times. Probably revved to about 6500 rpm in second, and 5000 or so in third, as well as some cruising in 4th and 5th.

AFR's were settling down to around 14-15:1 under cruise, and 12:1 or so under acceleration.

After about 20 miles it seemed to be getting smoother under cruise, so I turned around to go back home. I got on it a bit in 2nd, and rolled into it in third, when it suddenly went flat. :o
I let off and heard nothing unusual as it slowed down, but when I accelerated at all it had a bad misfire. Temps and oil pressure were normal.

I pulled over, popped the hood to see if a connector had come loose, but nothing obvious. Also no unusual mechanical noises.
I nursed it on home, but noticed AFR was running normal on the left, but 18-22:1 on the right under cruise or light acceleration. It would go back to 13:1 or so if I stepped on it a bit, but it shook real bad under even light accel. Obviously a cylinder is dead.

When I have time I plan to run the coil and injector tests, and if those check out I'll do a compression and/or leakdown test, but it doesn't seem mechanical, as there's no unusual mechanical noise or smoke.
Also no sign of coolant in the oil.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I'll trim the log files and upload those and the tune this weekend. My internet is sloooowwwww.
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by vw_chuck »

Sounds like you fouled plugs on one side. You should really flow each injector so you know where you are at. You probably have an injector that is richer than the others and it fouled a plug
DLRacing
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DLRacing »

vw_chuck wrote:Sounds like you fouled plugs on one side. You should really flow each injector so you know where you are at. You probably have an injector that is richer than the others and it fouled a plug
Thanks Chuck,

They're Deutsch injectors, and they came with a spec sheet. They only have around 100 miles or so on them.
I'll be checking the plugs when I get around to looking at it. Other projects taking priority right now.