No spark with C.O.P. for a Triumph 675R

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

deadlyjohny
MS/Extra Newbie

No spark with C.O.P. for a Triumph 675R

Post by deadlyjohny »

Hey guys! Looking for some help here.

I'm currently trying to power a Triumph Daytona 675R engine with the megasquirt 3 with PCBv3.0 (purchased here: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/meg ... lack-case/)

I already have confirmed all the other wiring is correct (fuel pump relay, injectors(bank A) crank position sensor (VR), Oil Pressure, Coolant temp, Manifold Temp, O2, and Throttle position sensors.

Only thing I can't seem to get to work is the d*** coils. I'm using the stock coils that came with the bike (Mitsubishi F6T573).These are two wire C.O.P. that I have confirmed work by supplying 12v to one pin and 5v to the other which causes the coil to spark the sparkplug. They are currently wired up using the spark signal wires (1,2, and 3) directly to the control connection of the coils. (wiring schematic found here https://www.diyautotune.com/wp-content/ ... mbnail.jpg)

I figured the ECU would send 5v to fire the spark plug but nothing is happening. No lights are flashing on the ECU and no sparky sparky.

Here are both my configuration and ignition configuration tables.
http://imgur.com/a/7f1p8

Please let me know if you have any thoughts as to why I can't get the megasquirt to control the coils. Our school competition is in about 2 weeks! Yeesh!

Thanks,
-John
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No spark with C.O.P. for a Triumph 675R

Post by Matt Cramer »

I've only seen two wire coils being designed for direct coil control. Unless there's a "third wire" that is actually a ground through the coil mount, I would assume it needs an external ignition module.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
deadlyjohny
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by deadlyjohny »

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. This was one of our thoughts the day after. So we hooked up a transistor (TIP120) that the Megasquirt could control to allow a high current control. Still nothing. Even tried looking at the spark wire with an osciliscope and only saw ~2.5v constantly with spark 1&2, but 0v with park 3. No movement.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-John Ivey
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Can you provide any more details on the coil? Even pictures, showing the electrical connector config in particular, may help. Post a sketch of how you are connecting the coil, both with/without the TIP120 as a buffer.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Are they like these? Don't look like smart coils to me. If so they will need an ignition driver like the bip373 and a rather short dwell time. http://www.energycoil.com/product/trium ... rgycoil-2/
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

google images brings up pretty standard bike stick coils when searching for Triumph 675R coils, these could be either cdi type wont work properly with megasquirt, or inductive type will need an external ignition amp or bip373 per coil to work with megasquirt.

if it does turn out to be cdi type coils you will need to find an alternative.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
deadlyjohny
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by deadlyjohny »

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Turns out I simply had some wires backwards. Always ends ups being something stupid.

Thanks for all the help.