Dodge truck, interesting VSS problem

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Dodge truck, interesting VSS problem

Post by E4ODnut »

What's going on here?
Have I done something to offend anyone?
Am I expecting too much to ask the developers for assistance?

At this point it looks to me like I may have broken something or there is some defect in MS. If I have broken something I have no idea how I did it and am hesitant to do any more experimenting in case I break something else. If there is a defect in MS there has to be a way to determine what it is.

In any case if I am going to solve this problem I will need some professional help.
Robert
'53 VW Beetle Street Baja dual port 1641 MSnS-Extra
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

If you use the input pin as a shaft speed sensor, does it register anything there?

How about if you enable Port Status and try connecting the pin to 5 volts and ground - does that toggle its status indicator?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the response.

Good suggestions! I'll try them and report back
Robert
E4ODnut
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by E4ODnut »

This is getting more interesting all the time.

I put the truck up on blocks to do some more testing. The plan was to test the VSS input on "Datalog in", (where I had left it), then Tableswitch in" (where I had started), then "Launch in" and finally "PT4". When I opened Tuner Studio and loaded my latest .msq (I always load my latest .msq rather that use "current tune") I checked my VSS settings and noticed that it was on "Launch in". I thought that rather odd so I turned the ignition on to establish communication, changed over to "Datalog in", turned the ignition off, then on again and fired the engine. I put it in gear and my speedometer and gear position indicator worked.

I shut the engine down, turned the ignition back on, changed wiring connection and TS over to "Tableswitch in", shut ignition off and on again. Fired the engine, put it in gear and everything worked.

Same procedure for “Launch in” and “PT4”. Same results, everything worked.

This tells me I probably haven’t broken anything.

After testing ”PT4" I shut everything down. When I opened TS and checked the VSS settings it showed “Launch in”. I fired the engine again and put it in gear. Everything worked. When I checked my VSS settings again it said “PT4 spare”.

I shut everything down again and set everything for “Launch in”. Everything worked for several engine stop and starts.

I shut everything down and started again. This time when I opened TS and checked my VSS settings it did say, “Launch in” but asked me to burn. I didn’t burn, fired the engine, and everything worked.

After that I couldn’t re-produce the problem. I went for a test drive with several stops and start engine sequences but so far everything is good.

If MS and TS want me to use “Launch in” for VSS1 I’m OK with that, but it is beginning to look to me like there may be a bug someplace.

Oh, I did try connecting one of the channels to shaft speed and it worked, (sorry, can’t remember which one). I did have indicators set up for port status and they did change state when connected, well several did at the same time, but I did not try them with just a connection to ground or 5 volts because I didn’t think there was much point given how things had been behaving so far.

So, there it is. Hopefully things will keep working.
Robert