LS2 truck coil install schematic -- does this look correct ?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

DonMaximo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

LS2 truck coil install schematic -- does this look correct ?

Post by DonMaximo »

I'd like to add confidence by acquiring an additional review of this proposed setup.

Please see diagram and comment.

Thanks in advance
1992 Mustang Conv,
363" Man-o-War (8.2"Deck), Dart Pro-1,
NA, EFI Victor,
TKO600, 373 gears,
MS3-Pro
Innovate DLG-1 (dual WB O2)
Ignition LS2 coil on plug (Crank trigger+ Explorer cam sensor)
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: LS2 truck coil install schematic -- does this look corre

Post by dontz125 »

I can't comment on the ABCD pin-out, but I did note two points. The +12v should come from the Fuel Pump relay, not the key switch. The coil power grounds are normally run to the block or head, vs back to the battery. Using the engine as a big ground bus helps reduce ground loops etc.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
DonMaximo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DonMaximo »

I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

To be more precise, I was planning to have a switch panel where 1 switch triggered a relay for fuel/injectors and another switch for triggering a relay for coil power.

The purpose of this separation was to provide a means of diagnosing any problems upon installation as well as identifying any coil issues in the future -and- not have the fuel pump/injectors powered while doing so.

I have a tendency of being compulsive at times when it comes to diagnosing issues or having additional instrumentation to hasten problem resolution.

If this seems impractical or excessive, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
1992 Mustang Conv,
363" Man-o-War (8.2"Deck), Dart Pro-1,
NA, EFI Victor,
TKO600, 373 gears,
MS3-Pro
Innovate DLG-1 (dual WB O2)
Ignition LS2 coil on plug (Crank trigger+ Explorer cam sensor)
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

I just went through the whole relay strategy exercise :) I think a "master" relay that triggers the rest of the items and is controlled by the ignition key and in turn the MS is the best way to go. Just my .02.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

I just went through a complete rewire, I had made so many upgrades to the system over the years that I decided to rewire it completely, I installed a power relay (100 amp continuous duty) that powers up a fuse panel that is devoted to just the ms3x and its components, I ran a ground to the fuse panel from the engine block( to make voltage readings easier to take). I ran all the ecu grounds directly to the engine block(not the wire from the engine block). I installed the fuel pump relay, an ignition coil relay (turned on by rpm signal from the ms3x), fan control relay and a shift light relay that all get power from the same source via different fuses in the little fuse panel. I was amazing how much nicer it is to work on stuff when you have a centrally located source for the components. I like your idea, but caution you to use the engine for your ground point, and ground all your sensors to the provided grounds from the ecu, not the engine, that will stop all kinds of bad readings because of ground shift.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
DHH
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DHH »

kaeman, for my own understanding, can you clarify what you mean by "...but caution you to use the engine for your ground point...".
At first I thought you were telling him not to ground at the engine. After re-reeding it, I now I believe you are encouraging him to use engine ground. Correct?
6.2L LS3, Procharged, MS3X V3.0
22' Donzi Classic
Not yet running...
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread. ... 502-to-LS3 (Disclaimer: Contains naive info :D )