ms3 pro ultimate - injector outputs

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Gybsen
MS/Extra Newbie

ms3 pro ultimate - injector outputs

Post by Gybsen »

Hi All

I have a problem with the ms3 pro ultimate unit.
I can measure constant 12v on the injector plug and engine ground. All 11 ground wires from the ecu is connected to ground and double checked.

If I disconnect the injector plug from the injector and put in a color diode it blinks just fine, but when the injector is connected the diode is not blinking.

The setup has been running fine for approx. 2 hours.

Any suggestions??

Best Regars
Thomas Rasmussen
Denmark
anakin
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: ms3 pro ultimate - injector outputs

Post by anakin »

Hi Thomas,

Exact same problem occurred with my friends car in which was installed the MS3 Pro Ultimate ecu.

Did you figure out what was the issue?

We have just sent the ecu back to US under RMA process and also to be checked thoroughly the injector transistors.

Best Regards
Kyriakos
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ms3 pro ultimate - injector outputs

Post by Matt Cramer »

Virtually all injector output failure issues I've seen on the MS3Pro Ultimate are related to this TSB.

https://www.ampefi.com/wp-content/uploa ... 051517.pdf

There were a few conditions where a voltage spike could take out a few components that went undetected in beta testing. Usually when this happened, the main symptom was mildly annoying - you would have the injector outputs stay open about 0.1 to 0.2 milliseconds longer than they should. But sometimes it would shut down the injector drivers completely. We have since beefed up the overvoltage protection on production Ultimates and EVOs, starting with ones that shipped April 29th, 2017.

And not all the parts that failed due to a voltage spike would fail at once - some would hang on for a month or so after the initial damage, passing all tests, then break down. So we've had some units that needed to be sent back a couple of times before we pinned this one down. Our current fix is to update the overvoltage protection to the latest specs and replace all parts that we have ever seen fail if the unit gets a voltage spike. That's cut the number of failures down dramatically, and I expect it may drop further as most of the repairs I'm seeing now are early production units that either weren't sent back for the TSB, or had some of the delayed failure issues and did not get all the potentially damaged parts replaced the first time.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X