EXT_MAP ADC input, temp sensor, bias installed, odd value

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kcuf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

EXT_MAP ADC input, temp sensor, bias installed, odd value

Post by kcuf »

in short
-MS3X
- using pin 21-22-23 on ms3x for fuel pressure, oil pressure and transmission temp

i was previously running a small screen driven by an arduino with a voltage divider to give me trans temp, using a GM CLT temp sensor when i ran the stock LS ECU, was always a planned upgrade to just feed it into MS when i got it running, cut it away yesterday and wired it into pin 23 (EXT_MAP) and configured the generic sensor input
mextrapost.PNG
now if i leave it as RAW at least cold it was giving a close to expected value (19 which seems pretty reasonable), i would have imagined that i needed to set it to GM sensor/same as coolant temp sensor etc, however when i set it as GM sensor/same as coolant, it reads ~147deg C, (also have it set to celcius), other sensors are reading 16-18deg C, tried all 3 different ways and ended up pulling the top off the MS to make sure i installed the bias resistor in the right location, and it is installed in the R65 location, which lines up with EXT_MAP/pin23,

I went one step further this afternoon and tripple confirmed by removing the MS3x connector from the MS, and checking continuity to the sensor from pin23, and also sensor ground, both were good, plugged it back in and checked continuity to R65, and also good,

is there something silly i have done for gauge readout? or missed, at the same time i wired up my fuel pressure, set it up and added a gauge, and it just worked fine, reading ~3psi above what i was expecting but close enough.
CurrentTune.zip
anyone see what ive missed, or encountered this before, only thing i have not done is warm up the car/drive it and see if the RAW values reflect what i was previously seeing with the screen
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: EXT_MAP ADC input, temp sensor, bias installed, odd valu

Post by grom_e30 »

when i did my oil temp i used the same sensor i was using for the coolant, so added the stock 2.49k bias resistor to the ms3x card set it to use same as coolant temp sensor and all was good. what sized bias resister did you add?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
kcuf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by kcuf »

grom_e30 wrote:when i did my oil temp i used the same sensor i was using for the coolant, so added the stock 2.49k bias resistor to the ms3x card set it to use same as coolant temp sensor and all was good. what sized bias resister did you add?
249k as per manual, (and it was a GM clt sensor from DIY)
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

2.49k or 249k?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
kcuf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by kcuf »

249kImage

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

it should be 2.49K (2490 ohms)
kcuf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by kcuf »

Ah s***, well I clearly misread that about 100 times now

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

simple fix get the correct resistor and you should get more sane readings
kcuf
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by kcuf »

Thanks for that, always something simple that is overlooked