Boost control, Searching for older text. Help me out

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jompa_a
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Boost control, Searching for older text. Help me out

Post by jompa_a »

Hi all.

I searching for a piece of text I found three or four years ago on how to tune the PID. It wa really easy to understand and follow.
It went something like:
P - Start at 0 and work upwards until boost target is reached
I - Start at 100 and lower until ocilation stops
D - Start at 0 and increase until minimal initial overshoot.

DONT DO THIS TO TUNE YOUR PID!!!! I might be way off.

So... Does anyone recognize the above?
Greetings from Sweden /Jonas
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Boost control, Searching for older text. Help me out

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

This is something I saved in 2013

1. Set Integral and Differential Gains to 0% - To make tuning the Proportional gain easier, set the Integral and Differential gains to 0%.
2. Set Proportional gain to 100% and slowly lower - While tuning Proportional gain, higher numbers mean slower boost climb and lower final boost. For safety, start with a very high gain (100% should be sufficient). Find the RPM that typically spools quickly, and fully and quickly depress the accelerator. Note how much boost is reached. If boost overshoots the target dramatically, increase the Proportional gain. Otherwise, reduce the Proportional gain and try again. Do this until boost reaches the target with a small amount of overshoot.
3. Tune the Integral Gain - The next step after the target is reached consistently is to tune the Integral gain. Starting from the RPM used to tune the P-gain, fully depress the accelerator and watch the boost as the engine climbs through the RPM range. As the engine accelerates through the rev range, the boost will probably creep away from the target. Keep increasing the I gain until the controller adequately maintains the target with minimal oscillation. It may be necessary to increase the P gain a bit after tuning the I gain since the two gains tend to counteract each other.
4. tune the Derivative Gain - Increase the D gain until the overshoot is minimized. Care must be taken when increasing the D gain as too much D gain can over-dampen the effects of the P and I gains.
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp
jompa_a
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Boost control, Searching for older text. Help me out

Post by jompa_a »

That is the exact piece of text I was looking for!! :yeah!:
Thanks alot.

I used it to tune a friends BMW m30b35 with an hx40 super. Really easy to get it pretty close to the final settings with those instructions.
Out of curiosity, do you remember where you found it? I guess its a lot to ask sinse you got it 5 years ago.

A question to someone who knows, does this still aply? Or did they change the settings around?
Greetings from Sweden /Jonas