MS3X install in EG33 - No RPM signal

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

crh3904
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3X install in EG33 - No RPM signal

Post by crh3904 »

Hey Everyone,

I picked up a fully assembled MS3X for use in my EG33 powered Porsche 914. Before I put fire to it I need some help getting my tune right. I'm running the stock VR sensors and put a 2.2K resistor on the cam signal to ensure it would show up. I also used a base map I found here. Not running a VSS yet, or an IAC just to keep it simple.

Couple of observations/concerns:

- Seems like the timing is off When I crank it to try to set the timing it seems that the coils only fire for ONE revolution, then no more. I have a test light hooked up to cylinder #1 and it only lights once and then nada. Might have something to do with the noise you see in the attached file.
2017-05-31_18.27.32.csv
Although it says "RPM synced", I'm not getting any actual RPM readings at all during cranking.

I'm pretty much 100% sure it's wired correctly since I tested every coil, injector, solenoid, etc one at a time.

Here's the tune:
6.1.EG33.msq
I did notice just now that VSS is selected so I have already fixed that.

I'd really appreciate any advice you might have. I'm new to MS and tuning so really need to know what actions to take/try.

Thanks in advance!

Chris H.
crh3904
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MS3X install in EG33 - No RPM signal

Post by crh3904 »

Update...I remembered that at one point I did have RPM signal and the last thing I did was remove the jumper on J7. When I removed this per the manual I got the "RPM sync" to turn green for the first time, however the RPM gauge will not move any more. When I put it back the RPM registers on the gauge but the RPM sync stays red which means no sync between the cam and crank sensors.

Pics - so according to the manual the J7 jumper should not be in place when using VR sensors:
IMG_0029.JPG
And does anyone know if the JP1 pins should be jumpered on this board like they are on the main board?
IMG_0032.JPG