B18 won't idle on under 1500rpm

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

3tc power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

B18 won't idle on under 1500rpm

Post by 3tc power »

Like the topic says, the car starts but won't stay running on its own under 1500rpm. can someone check out my msq and let me know what i'm not seeing. i'm using k20 coils and factory dizzy as a trigger source 24-1. Please ask if you have any questions.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: B18 won't idle on under 1500rpm

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Post a datalog of the problem.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

You have a very low "req_fuel" and it looks like the injector dead-time is set to the default, like you haven't flowed the injectors. With big injectors like that you need the most accurate data for flow and DT possible.

The VE values are way low, where did that table come from? There I would use a default (table) or try the VE generator, rather than a bogus VE table like that.

PS: If you have an NB O2 sensor (as indicated), turn off EGO control and kind of ignore AFR readings for now, at least.
3tc power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 3tc power »

billr wrote:You have a very low "req_fuel" and it looks like the injector dead-time is set to the default, like you haven't flowed the injectors. With big injectors like that you need the most accurate data for flow and DT possible.

The VE values are way low, where did that table come from? There I would use a default (table) or try the VE generator, rather than a bogus VE table like that.

PS: If you have an NB O2 sensor (as indicated), turn off EGO control and kind of ignore AFR readings for now, at least.
With the default ve table it was running super rich in the 10s. And yes i know about the ve table being low but for some reason it was still rich as hell.

Slow_hemi6
As far as the datalog goes, i won't see the car until friday so i will post one then
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

What injectors are in this thing?
3tc power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 3tc power »

whittlebeast wrote:What injectors are in this thing?
1000cc Rochester Delphi
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Per this table, those should support about 700 hp.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS3 ... .4-69.html

It is unlikely you will get those to idle any lower than about 1650 rpm.

Andy
3tc power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 3tc power »

whittlebeast wrote:Per this table, those should support about 700 hp.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS3 ... .4-69.html

It is unlikely you will get those to idle any lower than about 1650 rpm.

Andy
these were fine when the car had the haltech e6x. idled 900rpm will no problems. and i doubt the injectors are the issue. i purchased an aem epm and got rid of the dizzy. its a 24-1 hall module and i'm wondering if the 1k pullup resistor and jp7 is all i need to change for the setup?
BlackBird_SR71
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BlackBird_SR71 »

Well. a number of problems with this tune. More info would help. I'm assuming this is an E85 engine from Injector size and it has a fairly healthy cam.

A lot of the following depends on Fuel type. Gasoline or Ethanol/Methanol???

1: Stoich AFR is set for gasoline at 14.7 under General settings. That's gonna mess everything up if you are on E85 or Methanol.

2: Yes, the EGO sensor is set to NB. Which I highly doubt that is what it is. Set it correctly and Calibrate.

3: In the .MSQ you attached. Ign timing is "Set to " Fixed " , which is currently 15 BTDC. That's not enough for big cams. I've attached a screenshot of what I would run to get the idle better, with a big cam. This would work on a stock cam engine or Turbo cam as well. And if it's running E85 it will need more timing advance from the get go. More info please...

4: You can increase PW at idle while and improve idle quality by switching from Sequential, 2 squirt, alternating to Sequential,1 squirt simultaneous. That may bring the injectors into a more linear zone if the PW is too low. What is your current PW?

Haven't looked at the rest of the Timing curve, closely... not much point till you confirm Fuel type.

5: Get the Dead Time accurate. Research the injectors. As others have mentioned, getting the DT a bit too high with large injectors can really throw things out of whack.

6: Are these Hi-Impedance or Low Impedance injectors? PW Current limiting is turned off. The current set up is for either Hi-Z injectors or Low-Z injectors using a resistor box. Is this what you have? Confirm please.

Haltech is different and uses an Automatic PW current limiting program when Low-Z injectors are selected and used ( no resistor box ) . With MS and Low-Z injectors with no resistor box, you have to set PW current limiting settings manually. Defaults may need to be changed. Please confirm that the settings correspond to the injector type.
3tc power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 3tc power »

Well thanks for the help guys. i said screw it and i bought an AEM EPM and the car hold rock solid timing and idles on its own now. Still have a few bugs but all the crazy stuf is gone now. Pretty much the honda dizzy was cause all the mayhem. I attached the new msq and log