Boost Control Setups?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Boost Control Setups?

Post by LSXCutty »

I have found Closed loop boost control to be inconsistent. Both by temp changes and according to the gear your in. I am using a 4-port mac valve and using air pressure from the compressor housing. Would going to dome control be more accurate and easier to control with temp swings?
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Boost Control Setups?

Post by nathaninwa »

I've been affected by temperature as well over the past few weeks. 55% used to make 200kpa, now it's taking 65%. Ambient was about 25* hotter than when initially tuned
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

I'm wondering if I should just go to a 3-port mac valve, uping my WG spring, and seeing if closed loop works better with a 3-port valve.
93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93supercoupe »

I havent turned on closed loop boost yet, but ive been running my 3 port mac setup like a 4 port.

meaning, pressure source into the solenoid, 1 port out the solenoid to the bottom of the gates, 1 port out of the solenoid to the top of the gates. The top port needs a tiny bleed hole somewhere.

With this setup, and 10psi springs, i can run 10 psi and at 25psi im mid 30%'s for boost DC at 19hz

this is on my twin 66mm 6.0l LS

I used this setup when it was a stick car and now an auto and it worked well for both.
BootlegTuned
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

How does that setup act with weather changes?
TurboFan
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by TurboFan »

nathaninwa wrote:I've been affected by temperature as well over the past few weeks. 55% used to make 200kpa, now it's taking 65%. Ambient was about 25* hotter than when initially tuned
Yeap this was all life in boost control so I tuned to more percentage in bias duty table with Advanced mode and aggressive PIDs to compensate target overshooting by temp.
BMW 525i, stroker 2.8L, MS3-Pro 1.4.1, BIPs 373, 66mm turbo 30 psi
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

So does using dome control work any better??